Maui Real Estate Blog
2016-2017 Maui Property Tax Rates
The new fiscal year for Maui County starts on July 1 and that means new property tax rates. The Maui County Council approved a new budget that saw a reduction in property tax rates for almost every property tax classification. Some of the reduction in rates may be offset by increased assessed values for properties. This is following a general pattern with Maui County Property tax rates. When the market is going up rates are decreased. When market values go down, property tax rates go up. You can see the new rates compared to the old rates below.
- The Residential tax rate will be $5.30 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease of 10 cents from the 2015/2016 tax rate of $5.40.
- The Apartment tax rate will be $6.00 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is unchanged from last year’s tax rate.
- The Commercial tax rate will be $6.60 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is also unchanged from last year.
- The Industrial tax rate is $6.69 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from $6.85 last year.
- The Agricultural tax rate is $5.66 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is down from $5.75 in 2015/2016.
- The Conservation tax rate is $5.80 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from last year’s rate of $5.90.
- The Hotel and Resort tax rate is $8.71 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from the previous rate of $8.85.
- The Time Share rate is $14.31 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a healthy decrease from the old rate of $14.55.
- The Homeowner rate is $2.70 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a down from last year’s rate of $2.75.
- The Commercialized Residential rate is $4.35 per $1,000 of assessed value. That rate remains unchanged.
Property tax rates are paid biannually in Maui County. The first bill comes due in August with the next payment made in February. Tax rates for the next fiscal year will be debated again in the Spring with the County Council approving new rates sometime in late May or June.
More from our Blog
Mortgage Rates and Treasury Bonds
Three months into the year and interest rates continue to…Read More
The Hester Prynne of Hawaii Real Estate
The scarlet letter of Hawaii Real Estate isn’t A. It’s…Read More
Big Ocean View Land Opportunities in Haiku
A quiet country road that wanders towards the ocean. Cooling…Read More