Category: Maui Culture
Maui Real Estate Blog
Maui Film Festival Starts Today!
The Maui Film Festival gets underway in just a couple of hours. This premier cultural event is in it’s thirteenth year with movies and parties scheduled for both Wailea and The Maui Arts and Cultural Center. Here are some of the highlights for the festival.
- The event kicks off with the Opening Night Twilight Reception at Capische? Restaurant at the Hotel Wailea. If you waited until tonight to buy tickets, you waited too long. This event is sold out!
- Opening Night at The Celestial Cinema is always a fun place to be. You would be hard pressed to find a more scenic venue to watch a movie than under the stars on the Golf Course in Wailea. Opening night includes a Celebrity Tribute to Actor/Producer/Director Josh Radnor. After Josh receives his award, the festival will be featuring a movie directed by Josh entitled Liberal Arts. The second movie of the night is Big Easy Express which chronicles three bands, six cities and one train. Tickets for the Celestial Cinema are $22 and cover both features. The celebrity tribute starts at 8:00 PM. Arrive early, bring a blanket and enjoy the Sunset. The Celestial Cinema is held every night between now and Sunday with actor and film maker awards scheduled prior to the movies.
- The Taste of Chocolate is a Chocolate Lover’s Dream. This two hour celebration of all things chocolate is hosted at the Four Seasons Resort Wailea. There are six stations where chocolate is served in a whole variety of manners including a chocolate fountain. The Taste runs from 10:00PM-12:00AM on Friday night with tickets costing $125.
- The Taste of Wailea is one of the premier culinary events on the island. Located outside at the David Leadbetter Golf Academy, the Taste will include menu items from 12 different Wailea Restaurants. The event runs from 4:30-7:00 on Saturday. Tickets are $120 per person.
- If you are looking for something fun and inexpensive to do with Dad on Sunday night, you may want to consider The Sanddance Theater. The film festival will be showing a free movie down on Wailea Beach between the Four Seasons and The Grand Wailea. Its hard to beat the movies with the sound of surf crashing in the background.
These are just some of the things scheduled as part of The Maui Film Festival. There is also a full schedule of movies set for the Castle Theater at the MACC, film maker panel discussions and other great parties. You can see the full schedule for the Maui Film Festival and buy tickets online. This is one of the cultural events of the year on Maui and is recognized as one of the up and coming film festivals around the world.
The Maui Film Festival is another reason why the Wailea Resort is considered one of the premier travel and second home destinations on the planet. Beautiful beaches, great golf, a fantastic tennis facility, fine shopping, great restaurants, great spas and a stunning setting are other reasons why people chose to come to Wailea year after year. You can find a full list of Wailea Condos for Sale and Wailea Homes for Sale at MauiRealEstate.com.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Fourth Friday Paia is Tonight
Paia Town’s Fourth Friday has only been around for a few a few months. In that short time, it has become a very popular event with residents and visitors alike. The town was absolutely packed last month with people flocking to shops for sales and entertainment. Big crowds filled the bars and restaurants. It looks like another fun schedule is on tap for tonight. Here is a list of some of the entertainment and sales scheduled.
Paia Art Galleries
- Maui Crafts Guild – Featuring ceramic tile and mask artist, Tracy Lamon from 6:30 to 9:00 PM at opening reception. Refreshments and live music from Upcountry Celtic at the bright yellow store will be part of the Fourth Friday festivities. 69 Hana Hwy (579-9697)
- Maui Hands -. Featured artist, Christine Halton will be doing wood burning demonstrations, while the gallery will also offer a savory pupu and tasteful red wine. 84 Hana Hwy (579-9245)
- Turnbull Fine Art – Featured Contemporary Artist Lori Koprowski will be at Turnbull Fine Art with her new collection. 137 Hana Hwy (579-9385)
- Paia Tattoo Parlor is hosting an Art Show featuring the Photography of Amy Neurater.
- Agua De Flora – Late Summer Perfume Salon Party with live music and festivities. 161b Hana Hwy (579-3339)
- Biasa Rose – Storewide celebration and Special Fourth Friday Sale. 104 Hana Hwy (579-8602)
- Hemp House -. Offering free samples of Made On Maui HEMP INCENSE after 5 PM on Fourth Friday 16 Baldwin Ave (579-8880)
- Letarte – Letarte will be doing their annual sale Starting Friday the 24th-Monday 27th and serving refreshments. FourthFriday will be a special preview of 40% off ALL 2012. Sale will resume at 35% Saturday- Monday. 24 Baldwin Ave (579-6022)
- Moonbow Cabana – Featuring jewelry designer Cyndi Jay who will be making jewelry in the shop. Also having a sale on all of the handmade Moonbow Tropics jewelry in honor of Fourth Friday in Paia. 20 Baldwin Ave (579-8775)
- Moonbow Tropics – Sale on featured clothing. 27 Baldwin Ave (579-3131)
- Maui Girl – Maui Girl will be offering 10% off everything in the store from 5 til 8pm. 12 Baldwin Ave (579-9266)
Paia Grocery/Wine Stores
- Mana Foods – Produce department will be handing out samples of local produce inside the store. 49 Baldwin Avenue (579-8078)
- Paia Inn – Wine and Cheese and Music from 6-8pm. 93 Hana Hwy (579-6000)
Paia Health & Wellness
- Paia Yoga – Benefit for Vermont .A portion of the proceeds from the 4:30 class led by Mackensie will be donated to the cause, live music and a kirtan led by Ken Sandin. 161 Hana Hwy (283-3612)
Paia Home Furnishings
- Indigo –New Shipment Celebration! 149 Hana Hwy (579-9199)
- Pearl – Light pupus and wine served until 8 pm. 20% off on all whites.Special door prize will be given to one lucky attendee with a chance to win offered all day. 285 Hana Hwy (579-8899)
- Charley’s – Fourth Friday pau hana specials and dinner service. Live entertainment beginning at 9pm. 142 Hana Hwy (579-9453)
- Milagros – $3 coronas and $6 patron margaritas until 9 pm!!! 3 Baldwin Ave (579-8755)
Paia Surf Shops
- Sailboards Maui – Buy 1 housebrand T-shirt, get second at 1/2 price. 22 Baldwin (579-8431)
This promises to be a good night. My suggestion is to arrive early as parking was tight last month. Have a safe and fun Fourth Friday.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Wailea Jazz and Blues Festival
Wailea has added another fun event to its calendar. This weekend is the First Annual Maui Jazz and Blues Festival. The Festival is scheduled from 4:00-9:00 PM on Saturday in the Molokini Garden at the Grand Wailea. Featured performers include Les McCann, Javon Jackson, David Choy & Slam, Tom Scott, Brian Stoltz, Skip Martin, Delfeayo Marsalis, Brother Noland and Brittni Paiva. Tickets for the show are $20.00. In addition to the main event, Stella Blues in Kihei is hosting David Choy and Slam tonight for a Thursday Night Jazz Party. Tomorrow night, the Grand is hosting a VIP Jazz Dinner from 6:00-9:00 PM. Call 808 875 1234 for information on limited seating. To end the Jazz and Blues weekend, the Grand is hosting a Sunday Brunch from 10:00AM-1:00PM with Steel Guitar Master Henry Allen. Seating is also limited so call in advance for tickets.
Festivals, top resort hotels, fine dining, upscale shopping, three golf courses and gorgeous beaches are all reasons why the Wailea Resort is a world renowned destination. If you are interested in making Wailea your home or second home, you can check out the current inventory of Wailea Homes for Sale and Wailea Condos for Sale. You can also Contact the Maui Real Estate Team directly for professional and expert service.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Maui Arts and Cultural Center Releases 2011/2012 Season Schedule
The Maui Arts and Cultural Center (The MACC) in Kahului is one of the true jewels of Maui. This world class performing arts center offers three different venues for a variety of local, national and international performers. The McCoy theater offers a quiet and intimate setting of 250 seats for musical and theatrical performances. The Castle Theater is a 1200 seat multi-tiered theater that ensures there isn’t a bad seat in the house. This is the primary venue of the center hosting everything from films, to concerts, theater and dance performances. The A&B Theater is the outdoor venue that accommodates larger crowds of up to $5,000 for top musical acts. In addition to performance spaces, there is also the Schaefer International Gallery which hosts both local and international art exhibits.
Last week, the MACC announced their schedule for the next 12 months. The artists scheduled to visit Maui include Chris Isaak, Ben Vereen, REO Speedwagon, Steve Miller, Jake Shimabukuru, Cake, Boyz II Men, The Shanghai Circus, The Marth Graham Dance Company, Cecilio and Kapono and many more. You can download the full schedule online. In addition to the announced performers, the MACC is diligent about continuing to book other top performers throughout the year. If you are thinking of relocating to Maui and want to know more about island arts and entertainment, I would be happy to take you buy the MACC to see this great venue. It is one of the many reasons why I love Maui.
Maui Real Estate Blog
The 2010-2011 Season at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center
Last week, the Maui Arts and Cultural Center (MACC) posted its brochure for the 2010-2011 season. The MACC brings a solid slate of theater, dance and musical performers from throughout Hawaii, The U.S. and the globe. The brochure features a list of performers booked to date for the season. The MACC augments this lineup of performers with new acts as additional tour dates are announced. You can click here to view a PDF version of the brochure online.
Maui Real Estate Blog
This Weekend on Maui
It has been a fun and busy first five days for The Maui Real Estate . It is likely to be a busy weekend in the office and showing properties for us as well. That being said, there are a lot of fun events happening this weekend on Maui. I have posted a few highlights below.
The Haiku Ho’olaulea and Flower Festival is being held tomorrow at the Haiku Community Center. The event runs from 9:00AM to 5:00 PM. The Festival features entertainment, food, crafts, flower demonstrations, and a farmer’s market. There will be a number of great North Shore Restaurants with ono grinds (good food for our mainland readers). Performers will include the Hui Lanikila Halau, Dr. Nat, Marty Dread, Gail Swanson, Maui Kilakila, and more. Proceeds from the festival benefit Haiku School, Haiku Boys and Girls Club and the Haiku Community Association for local youth education enrichment and activities.
On Sunday, Manao Radio is hosting Barryfest 2010 at the Keopuolani Park Amphitheater (next to Maui Nui Botanical Gardens) in Kahului. This fundraiser commemorates the eighth year of the listener supported radio station. It also celebrates the life of one of the station’s founders Barry Shannon. Barry passed away a few years back. This is one of the biggest if not the biggest musical festival on Maui. There are 15 bands booked including some of Maui and Hawaii’s most talented rock musicians. Barryfest runs from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Gates open at 10:30 AM. Tickets are available at the gate for $25. Keiki (5-12) and kupuna (65+) have a reduced admission charge of $15. Bring your hat, sunscreen, blankets and low backed chairs for this fun musical event.
You can support Maui OnStage community theater this weekend by checking out the opening of to Kill a Mocking Bird at the Historic Iao Theater in Wailuku. You may be a little late for opening night, but there are also performances on Saturday Night at 7:30 and on Sunday afternoon at 3:30.
These are just a few of the things happening on Maui this weekend.