Category: Maui Events
Maui Real Estate Blog
2016-2017 Maui Property Tax Rates
The new fiscal year for Maui County starts on July 1 and that means new property tax rates. The Maui County Council approved a new budget that saw a reduction in property tax rates for almost every property tax classification. Some of the reduction in rates may be offset by increased assessed values for properties. This is following a general pattern with Maui County Property tax rates. When the market is going up rates are decreased. When market values go down, property tax rates go up. You can see the new rates compared to the old rates below.
- The Residential tax rate will be $5.30 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease of 10 cents from the 2015/2016 tax rate of $5.40.
- The Apartment tax rate will be $6.00 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is unchanged from last year’s tax rate.
- The Commercial tax rate will be $6.60 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is also unchanged from last year.
- The Industrial tax rate is $6.69 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from $6.85 last year.
- The Agricultural tax rate is $5.66 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is down from $5.75 in 2015/2016.
- The Conservation tax rate is $5.80 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from last year’s rate of $5.90.
- The Hotel and Resort tax rate is $8.71 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a decrease from the previous rate of $8.85.
- The Time Share rate is $14.31 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a healthy decrease from the old rate of $14.55.
- The Homeowner rate is $2.70 per $1,000 of assessed value. That is a down from last year’s rate of $2.75.
- The Commercialized Residential rate is $4.35 per $1,000 of assessed value. That rate remains unchanged.
Property tax rates are paid biannually in Maui County. The first bill comes due in August with the next payment made in February. Tax rates for the next fiscal year will be debated again in the Spring with the County Council approving new rates sometime in late May or June.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Gives on December 20th
Saturday December 20th is the annual Paia Gives Event. It is hard to believe this great night of shopping, holiday cheer and philanthropy is in it’s ninth year already. I remember the first one really well. From 4:00-8:00 PM, merchants will be offering holiday sales with many offering refreshments and raffles or a portion of sales to benefit island non-profits. The list below summarizes what’s planned around town.
Paia Art Galleries
- Art Project Paia -77 Hana Hwy (214-6949).
Join Art Project Paia for an an evening of celebration. A portion of the night’s proceeds will benefit Maui Humane Society.
- Maui Crafts Guild – 120 Hana Hwy (579-9697)
Each guild artist has contributed to an amazing gift basket. Make a donation and receive a ticket to win! Proceeds benefit East Maui Animal Refuge.
- Maui Hands – 84 Hana Hwy (579-9245)
Maui Hands will be raffling off a 19” hammered metal petroglyph turtle by Charles Corda. Tickets will be 5.00 each or 5 for 20.00. All proceeds will go to support La’a Kea Farm. Refreshments served as part of the celebration!
- Biasa Rose –104 Hana Hwy (579-8602)
Biasa Rose’s holiday festivities will benefit Maui Humane Society.
- By the Bay –90 Hana Hwy (579-8340)
Celebrate with By The Bay! A portion of their proceeds will benefit Maui Humane Society.
- Lilikoi – 18 Baldwin Ave (579-6055)
Lilikoi will be donating to the Wings of Aloha program at the Maui Humane Society.
- Mahina – 23 Baldwin Ave (579-9131)
Mahina will be raising funds for Women Helping Women! Come out for a great night of shopping and helping stop domestic violence.
- Moonbow Tropics—36 Baldwin Ave (579-3131)
Moonbow Tropics will be raising funds for the Boo Boo Zoo
- Maui Girl Swimwear –12 Baldwin Ave (579-9266)
Maui Girl Swimwear will be offering 20-50% off the entire store all day
- Nuage Bleu – 76 Hana Hwy (579-9792)
Nuage Blue will be giving a raffle ticket for each $5 donation to win one $200 shopping spree or a piece by Hula Hoops Jewelry! All donations benefit their favorite charity, A Keiki’s Dream. Holiday cheer will be served from 4 – 8 pm.
- Oceania Maui – 120 Hana Hwy, Ste 3 (579-6063)
Oceania Maui is supporting the Hawaiian Immersion Program at Paia Elementary school with a percentage of every purchase! Join Oceania for the celebration with mimosas!
- Paia Mercantile –2 Baldwin Ave (579-6388)
A portion of the day’s sales at Paia Mercantile will benefit the Maui AIDS Foundation.
- Paia Style –40 Baldwin Ave (575-7327)
Supporting those in Paia that need it! They will be having a sale with 10% off throughout the entire store.
- Paia Trading Company – 106 Hana Hwy (579-9472)
Paia Trading Company will be donating a percentage of sales to the Paia Youth Center.
- Prospect Paia – 115 Hana Hwy
Join Prospect Paia for shopping and Holiday refreshments. More importantly they will be giving 20% of their days sales and any donations to Team Trucker. Team Trucker is a campaign to help Trucker Dukes, a little boy from Maui in his fight against an aggressive, late stage cancer.
- Biasa Rose –104 Hana Hwy (579-8602)
- Sophia Grace—36 Baldwin Ave (280-3595)
Sophia Grace will be donating proceeds to benefit the Dukes family to support Trucker.
- Tamara Catz Hawaii –83 Hana Hwy (579-9184)
This year their charity is the “Friend’s of the Children’s Justice Center Maui” which is a non-profit organized to help the children of Maui who are effected by abuse or neglect. From now through December 20the, they are accepting donations of new, unwrapped towys for boy or girls at their store to be donated to the Children’s Justice Center. Anyone in the community can drop off toys. On Saturday, December 20th for Paia Gives, they will be donating 10% of all sales to the Center. They will also be serving cider and chocolates.
- Wings Hawaii –69 Hana Hwy (579-3110)
Benefiting Maui Humane Society
The Wings Hawaii Store
Paia Grocery and Wine
- Mana Foods—49 Baldwin Ave (579-8078)
For Paia Gives, the Mana Foods bag credit will go to Paia School this month. If a customer brings their own bag they can choose to take $0.05 off their purchase total or donate it to Paia School. Customers can also donate any amount to Paia School at the register when checking out.
- Wine Corner – 149 Hana Hwy (579-8904)
The Wine Corner and DaVine Art will be hosting a table in their parking lot for The Paia Youth and Cultural Center. PYCC staff and youth members will sell PYCC hats, cookbooks and other items. They will also hold a raffle for great prize yet to be determined. As part of their tables, Honi Designs Hawaii and Ekahi Sunrise will sell their beautiful jewelry and donate a share of the profits to the PYCC
Paia Home Furnishings
- Indigo Paia – 149 Hana Hwy (579-9199)
Raising funds for PYCC’s RadiOpio. Portion of night’s proceeds will benefit Paia Youth and Cultural Center .
- Pearl –71 Baldwin Ave (579-8899)
Pearl Butik, along with Maui Children’s Bookstore pop up shop will be donating 10% of the days sales to the La’akea Foundation. Enjoy Pupus,proseco, music and a chance to win a cozy throw. This La’akea Foundation is a residential farm community where youths and adults with intellectual disabilities are part of a thriving community. Pearl will offer extended hours 10-8pm.
- Flatbread Company, Maui –89 Hana Hwy (579-8989)
Flarbread will be hosting a special benefit night for Benny, one of Paia’s best friends! Benny has had recent health problems that have left his family struggling to pay all of his medical deals.
- Flatbread Company, Maui –89 Hana Hwy (579-8989)
- Milagros Paia, Maui –3 Baldwin Ave (579-8755)
Milagros will be donating a portion of the day’s proceeds to the Duke Family to support Trucker’s fight against cancer.
- Rock & Brews Restaurant and Pub Paia—120 Hana Hwy (579-9011)
Rock & Brews will be donating to Toys for Tots as part of their 12 Days of KISS-mad promotion (12/12-12/23). For every toy they receive they will be giving the donator a $5 gift card to use towards a meal at R&B.
Head to Paia on Saturday December 20th, finish some last minute Holiday Shopping, support island non-profits and have some fun!
Maui Real Estate Blog
Small Business Saturday in Paia Town!
You don’t have to fight the crowds at the Big Box stores in Kahului on Black Friday to find good Holiday presents. Paia town is offering a great opportunity to find great gifts, to support local businesses and to have some fun with their Small Business Saturday Event.
The list below highlights some of the sales, promotions and events happening at the shops, galleries and restaurants of Paia.
- Aloha Boutique, 90A Hana Hwy –Special Small Business Saturday Sale
- Art Project Paia, 77 Hana Hwy – 10% off gallery wide
- Biasa Rose, 104 Hana Hwy–Alchemy Chocolate samples from new organic chocolate line made on Maui. Champagne will be served and a special sale rack for Small Business Saturday!
- By The Bay, 90 Hana Hwy- Special Small Business Saturday Sale
- Cesere Brothers, 83 Hana Hwy- 10% off everything in the gallery
- Flatbread Company, 89 Hana Hwy – 10% off flatbread apparel
- Hitech Maui, 58 Baldwin Ave–Small Business Saturday Sale
- Imrie Boutique, 71 Hana Hwy–Receive a free gift with specific purchase amount
- Indigo, 149 Hana Hwy —CMiya Trunk Show and Sample Sale. New photography from Daniel Sullivan
- Letarte 24 Baldwin Ave– Bringing in the holiday spirit with Holiday refreshments.
- Lilikoi, 18 Baldwin Ave.—Discounts on some of your favorites! Open from 9-7
- Mahina, 23 Baldwin Ave –Select Small Business Saturday Sale Items
- Mana Foods, 49 Baldwin Ave—Offering 10% off Mana Foods logo wear all day (while supplies last).
- Mandala Ethnic Arts, 29 Baldwin Ave—20% off everything in the store
- Maui Girl, 12 Baldwin Ave—20% off storewide
- Maui Hands, 84 Hana Hwy—Discount on local handmade ornaments
- Nuage Bleu, 76 Hana Hwy- Our biggest sale of the year! Friday-Sunday. Open til 7pm on Friday and Saturday. Champagne and treats served after 4.
- Oceania Maui, 96 Hana Hwy – Celebrating Small Businesses with Mimosas! Special guest Jewelry Designer Oceania and AITM Contemporary Master Artist Demien will join us between 11am and 3pm.
- Paia Mercantile, 2 Baldwin Ave—Buy one piece of clothing, get additional one at 50% off (50% off piece is lower priced item)
- Paia Style, 40 Baldwin Ave- 10% off storewide, excluding items already on sale, with a donation to our food bank basket.
- Paia Trading Post, 106 Hana Hwy- 10% off old bottles
- Pearl Butik, 71 Baldwin Ave –-Special raffle item to be announced. Small Business Saturday Savings. Serving beverages and pupus after 5. DJ Hans and Sasha “Chunx” will be playing music. Open til 8.
- Prospect, 115 Hana Hwy- Small Business Saturday sale and Holiday refreshments
- Sailboards Maui, 22 Baldwin Ave –20% off selected items
- Studio 22k , 161B Hana Hwy– Storewide Sale!
- Tamara Catz, 83 Hana Hwy- Free silk item (gift with purchase)
- Wings Hawaii, 69 Hana Hwy—Buy one regular priced item get a second of equal or lesser value at 30% off (not including already discounted sale items) AND 50% off sale rack
Come out to Paia this Saturday to support local businesses and put a good dent in your Christmas shopping!
Maui Real Estate Blog
A Reason To Give Thanks
Next week is a time to give thanks. While many of us will gathering around the dinner table on Thursday to utter words of appreciation, there are some on Maui who will be expressing their gratitude on Monday. That’s right basketball fans, it is time to give thanks for the EA Sports Maui Invitational. It is a fantastic opportunity to take in the pageantry of big time college basketball in the friendly confines of the Lahaina Civic Center. This early season tournament brings some of College Basketball’s best teams together for a three day feast of hoops in a venue that is not much bigger than a typical high school gym.
This year’s tournament features top 25 programs Arizona and San Diego State. Both teams played in the NCAA tournament last year and are predicted to have strong squads this season. Arizona is currently ranked number 2 in the polls with SDSU ranked 16th. Pittsburgh and BYU are two more teams in this year’s tournament who made it to last year’s NCAA field of 64. The EA Sports field is rounded out by tournament host Chaminade and traditional basketball powers Purdue, Kansas State and Missouri. You would have to think that Arizona and San Diego State are the two most likely finalists. Those teams squared off in last year’s sweet sixteen with Arizona coming out on top. That said, you never know what can happen with college basketball. In 2010, Connecticut went from being the surprise champions of a stacked Maui Invitational to being the 2011 NCAA Champions.
The tournament tips off at 9:30 AM on Monday. If you can’t make it live, you can tune into the action on ESPN and ESPN2. If you are a college basketball fan and you have yet to make a Maui Invitational, put in your bucket list. It is truly basketball paradise in paradise.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Five Things to Look Forward to at the Maui Film Festival
The 15th Maui Film Festival gets underway today, Wednesday June 4th. This is the earliest start date for the Film Festival in its history. Perhaps, the organizers wanted to get a jump on things because they have such a particularly good event lined up for island residents and visitors.
We put together a list of five things to look forward to at the Maui Film Festival.
- International Talent. The Festival annually honors some of Hollywood’s biggest and brightest stars with a series of Tributes. This year is no exception. This year the festival will provide awards to Golden Globe Nominee Evan Rachel Wood; rising star Emma Roberts; Oscar Winner Lupita Nyongo; and actor, writer and Director Joe Mangienello.
- Local talent. Shep Gordon is another festival honoree lauded for his influence in the Music industry, Film Industry and the Celebrity Chef movement. He has called Maui home for a number of years. The biographical film directed by Mike Meyers, Super Mensch will be playing at the Seaside Cinema. Gordon is one of many talented Maui Residents who will be featured on the Big Screen. A variety of talented island water athletes will be appearing in films. One of the more notable features is XOXO which looks at five accomplished Maui Surfer girls and their efforts to give back to the community. Maui Resident and American Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin is the subject of the documentary Even Though The Whole World is Burning. The Film was directed by island resident Stefan Schaefer. These are just some of the local residents whose efforts in front of or behind the camera will make it on the big screen.
- Celestial Cinema. If there is one thing that makes the Maui Film Festival stand out, it is the venue for the Celestial Cinema. The big screen set up on the golf course in Wailea makes for a spectacular setting. The beautiful green countryside of Ulupalakua looms behind the screen. The Pacific and the neighbor islands are behind you, and as day fades to night a blanket of stars emerges above. It sure beats a multiplex where your feet stick to the floor.
Sunset before the Celestial Cinema.
- Seaside Cinema. During the recession years, the Maui Film Festival shrank in size. It went from a variety of venues in Wailea to just the Celestial Cinema and films at the MACC. It is exciting to see that the festival will be expanding again to a new venue with the Seaside Cinema. The Seaside Cinema at the Grand Wailea will host more intimate films, offer complimentary valet parking, comfortable seating, food and drinks. This venue will be the location for the majority of the Festival Tribute awards.
- Food. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the food of the Film Festival. Festival events feature some of the best chefs of Wailea and the island. The open night Twilight Reception is hosted and catered by Capische at the Hotel Wailea. This restaurant is a previous winner of the Aipono Award for best island restaurant. The Taste of Chocolate on Friday night is a sweet tooth’s heaven with eight separate stations of Chocolate. The signature culinary event is the Taste of Wailea. This event features contributions from almost all of Wailea’s Restaurants including new additions to the scene such as Sheldon Simeon’s Migrant and Morimoto Maui. If you waited to get tickets for this event, you missed out. All single event tickets have sold out. You will need to buy a Cosmos Pass VIP Patron to get into the top ticket of the festival.
These are just five of the many reasons to be excited about the Festival. You can check out the full schedule of events Maui Film Festival Website. Don’t forget that if you can’t make it down to Wailea, there are a lot of good films showing at the Castle and McCoy Theaters at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center. Regardless of where and what you attend, the 15th edition of the Maui Film Festival will be another fantastic event.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Gives Is This Saturday!
Paia Gives is scheduled for Saturday, December 21, 2013 from 4-8 pm. This great community event is now in its eighth year. Over the years, Paia Gives has generated significant contributions to local non-profits, provided an opportunity to finish Christmas shopping at local businesses all while throwing a good party. Special deals, refreshments, and entertainment make for a memorable evening of shopping and giving in Paia Town. This post includes a partial list of businesses that are participating and the local non-profits they have chosen to support. If you haven’t been to Paia in a while, you will see that there have been some changes this year with new businesses and other stores moving to new locations. We tried to highlight some of those changes below.
- Art Project Paia is a new gallery that opened earlier this year. This beautiful space is in the midst of it’s second show since it opened. For Paia Gives, some of the artists from the latest show, Women Make The World Go Round, will be in attendance. Kary McCarthy, Kathy Sakai, Lisa Bartleson from Lisa Bartleson Studio and Tatiana Botton from Tatiana Photo Studios. They will be there to take your questions, talk art, life and what to expect for 2014. All for a good cause as 10% of sales proceeds from that day will benefit Maui Humane Society. Art Project Paia invites you to stop by and have a drink, meet the artists and support the Humane Society. They are located at 77 Hana Hwy.
- Maui Crafts Guild – You may smell fresh paint when you visit the Maui Crafts Guild as they will be opening their brand new location at 120 Hana Hwy on the corner of Hana Highway and Baldwin this weekend. This is the former location for Dakine. The Crafts Guild we be supporting the Paia Youth and Cultural Center during Paia Gives.
- Maui Hands is located at 84 Hana Highway. They will be raffling off a 19” hammered metal petroglyph turtle by Charles Corda. It has a value of 125.00. Tickets will be 5.00 each or 5 for 20.00. All proceeds from the raffle will go to support Hali’imaile Community Garden. Refreshments will be served as part of the celebration!
- Biasa Rose is located at 104 Hana Highway. Their holiday festivities will benefit Women Helping Women Maui
- By the Bay is located at 90 Hana Hwy. They will have 2 pieces of art to raffle. For every $5 donated the Maui Humane Society, you will receive a raffle ticket. Also, purchases over $100 on that day will receive a glass ornament of their choice.
- Letarte Swimwear is located in the cute little hut at 24 Baldwin Ave. The Letarte Store is going to honor this special night by raffling 2 $50 gift certificates for Letarte labeled merchandise. Raffle tickets are $5 and the funds raised from the raffle will be donated to the Surfrider Foundation – Maui Chapter. There will be Christmas refreshments at the store between 4-8pm as well.
- Lilikoi is located at 18 Baldwin Ave. They will be donating to the Wings of Aloha program at the Maui Humane Society. They are already donating 100% of the sale proceeds from kai fragrance gift sets and to the program. They will be donating 5% of our sales from Paia Gives on Dec 21. They will also do a gift drawing for those that make a purchase at Lilikoi during the event.
- Mahina is located at 23 Baldwin Avenue. They will be raising funds for Women Helping Women! They invite people to come out for a great night of shopping and helping stop domestic violence.
- Nuage Bleu is situated at 76 Hana Highway. They will be having a raffle that benefits A Keiki’s Dream. They are giving raffle tickets with each $5 donation to win one of two $100 gift cards! They are also hosting a trunk show featuring Hula Hoops Maui Jewelry!
Holiday cheer will be served from 4 – 8 pm.
- Paia Trading Company is located at 106 Hana Hwy. They will be donating a percentage of sales to the Paia Youth and Cultural Center. The Ginger Bread Man and possibly Frosty the Snowman will be handing out candy.
- Oceania Maui is located is Suite 3 of 120 Hana Highway. They will be donating 10% of the whole day’s proceeds to the keiki gardening project at the Upcountry Montessori School of Maui.Every customer who shops there for “Paia Gives” receives a free handmade coconut soap with purchase of $25 or more. While supplies last.
- San Lorenzo Bikinis Maui is another new addition to Paia. They occupy the long vacant store at the intersection of Hana Hwy and Baldwin Avenue between Ono Gelato and Honolua Surf Company. They will be accepting donations for the Maui Food Bank
- Sand and Sea located at 99 Hana Hwy will be accepting donations for the Maui Food Bank.
- Wings Hawaii is at a new location at 69 Hana Highway. We were sad to see our old neighbors move, but they have a great little shop right on Hana Highway. They will be benefiting Maui Food Bank during Paia Gives. If you bring in a canned food or non perishable food donation in for 20% off your entire purchase. That deal runs all day tomorrow.
Grocery and Wine
- Wine Corner and Da Vine Art are located right next to each other in the Paia General Store Building. Da Vine Art is an extension of the Wine Corner and another new addition to Paia. They are a beautiful new wine and spirits tasting bar. They are open for general tasting and can also host private events. Da Vine Art and The Wine Corner will be benefiting the Paia Youth and Cultural Center. PYCC staff and youth members will be hosting a table in the parking lot that sells PYCC hats, cookbooks and other items. We will also hold a raffle for great prize yet to be determined. As part of the tables, Honi Designs Hawaii and Ekahi Sunrise will sell their beautiful jewelry and donate a share of the profits to the PYCC
- Indigo Paia is located in the Paia General Store Building on Hana Highway. They will be raising funds for PYCC’s RadiOpio. One raffle ticket given for every $20 spent in store. Raffle items include RueBelle jewelry, photography by Daniel Sullivan and clothing by CMiya.
- Pearl has a brand new location at 71 Baldwin Ave (The same building as the Maui Real Estate Team). They have a beautiful space with fine home furnishings and smaller home decor items. Our new neighbors will be donating 10% of the day’s sales towards La’a Kea Farm in Paia. Donate $5 for a raffle ticket to win bamboo throw. Serving Holiday Cheer from 4-8pm.
- Milagros is located at the corner of Hana Highway and Baldwin Avenue. They will be donating a percentage of sales to Montessori of Maui.
- Charley’s Restaurant & Saloon will be raising funds for the Maui Humane Society.
- Hi-Tech Surf and Sports will be donating 10% of clothing sales made between 4 and 8pm on the Night of Paia Gives to the Paia Youth & Cultural Center.
Paia Gives is a fun night and a great opportunity to support local businesses and local non-profits. Come out tomorrow night and get your last minute Christmas and Holiday shopping done in Paia.