Maui Real Estate Blog
Auction to Benefit the Paia Youth and Cultural Center
Two very talented North Shore of Maui residents have joined forces to benefit the Paia Youth and Cultural Center. Renowned Maui Artist Kim McDonald and Kai Lenny teamed together to create a beautiful custom surfboard. Kim used her considerable artistic talent to create a stunning piece of art that would look good in any setting. The board features Kai’s footprints and signature. The board is being auctioned online with all proceeds set to go towards the Paia Youth and Cultural Center.
About the Board
The board is a “gun” like the one Kai might use while riding the giant surf at Jaws. Kim painted it a gorgeous aqua blue. A hue that you are likely to see in the ocean waters around Maui. The green and white on the board represent the ocean or the waves. A Malolo or Hawaiian Flying Fish features prominently in the design. It is a favorite of Kai’s and one that he frequently encounters paddling and foiling around the islands. The board is a true collector’s piece.
Kai grew up in Spreckelsville on Maui’s North Shore. It is here that his passion for the ocean grew with each day. He has grown up to be one of the great watermen of the world. He is truly a master of all surf crafts as a surfer, stand up paddler, windsurfer, kiter, big wave rider and most recently on his foil board. Kai has racked up an impressive eight world titles in stand up paddle racing and surfing. At just 25 years old, he will continue to leave his mark in the surfing world for a long time to come.
Kim McDonald’s art work is owned by collectors around the world. Her themes feature Polynesian Women, Tropical Landscapes and Surf Scenery. Over the last few years she has used custom surfboards as the medium for her vivid artwork.
About the PYCC
The Paia Youth and Cultural Center’s mission is to promote community through its youth. Situated on the beach at Paia Bay, the Youth Center draws members from Paia, Haiku, Upcountry and Central Maui. This program based Youth Center provides a safe place for kids to learn, gain life skills and have fun! Programs include the Hekili Multimedia Lab, RadiOpio, Paia Bay Cafe, Malama Pono Project Venture and the Maui Hero Project. Pa’ia Youth Council, Inc., operating the Pa’ia Youth & Cultural Center, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation funded by grants from the Maui County Department of Housing & Human Concerns, the State of Hawaii Office of Youth Services, private foundations, community donations, and fundraisers.
Bid Online Now
Bids for the Kai and Kim board to benefit PYCC may be submitted online until December 18th at 12:00 PM HST. Owning this surfboard is unlikely to make you surf like Kai, but you can rest assured that your purchase will benefit a fantastic organization.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Gives 2016
The Merchants of Paia Town will be hosting Paia Gives on Saturday December 17th, from 4:00-8:00 PM. It is hard to believe this event is already in its eleventh year. I remember when the merchants were first pulling together this fun evening on the North Shore. Shops in and around Paia will be staying open late, with many offering sales and special events. The businesses have also chosen different local non-profits they will support. This list below provides details on what merchants are planning and which non-profits will benefit from their generosity.
Paia Art Galleries
- Art Project Paia: 10% of the sales at Art Project Paia will go to the Maui Humane Society
- Maui Hands: Maui Hands will be hosting a Raffle with the proceeds benefiting the Paia Youth & Cultural Center
Paia Barber Shops
- Hairbenders: Hair Benders will be making an in kind donation for the Maui Aids Foundation
- Biasa Rose –They will be hosting a pop up with Sigal Jewlery. A portion of proceeds will benefit the Maui Humane Society
- Letarte – Letarte is sponsoring a food drive for the Maui Food Bank. 10% of sales will benefit the Maui Food Bank during Paia Gives. Customers who bring in 4 cans of non-perishable food items on Saturday and Sunday will receive 10% off of their purchase.
- Luna and Tide – They will be having a raffle with the proceeds benefiting the Maui Humane Society
- Nuage Bleu: Nuage Blue will be offering pupus, In-store artist Jenn Johnson, jewelry by Hula Hoops Maui and a raffle with proceeds to benefit PYCC andHawaii Wildlife Fund
- KJB Paia: A portion of their sales will go toward Women Helping Women
- Oceania Maui: 10% of sales during Paia Gives will benefit PYCC
- Paia Mercantile & Mermaid Inn: 5% of sales and donations from register jar will go toward the Maui Humane Society. They will also be offering an additional 50% off clearance items.
- Paia Trading Company – 10% of sales during Paia Gives will benefit PYCC. Frosty the Snowman will be handing out candy from 6-7 PM
- Pakaloha Bikinis: Pakalaoha will be having a sale with 10% off all items in the store. A portion of proceeds will go toward PYCC
- Pearl Butik: 20% of the days sales will go back to Laa Kea Foundation. Come in for holiday cheer, Swedish treats, and a raffle
- Sassabella: 10% of sales will be donated to the Maui Humane Society
- Tamara Catz: 20% off all Tamara Catz items and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Pacific Cancer Foundation
- Mana Foods: Mana Foods is offering a bag credit program going toward Trucker Dukes
. This will be going on throughout the month of December.
- Flatbread Paia: 5% of all gift cards sold will benefit the Maui Hulilau Foundation
- Honi Designs and Paia Youth and Cultural Center will have a Table in front of Milagro’s. Proceeds from their sales will help to fund PYCC programs
Paia Surf Shops
- Sailboards Maui: A percentage of sales during Paia Gives will benefit Trucker Dukes
- HiTech Paia: 10% of clothing and soft goods sales will go to PYCC
This is a great opportunity to finish some last minute Christmas shopping, support local businesses and support local non-profits. We hope to see you in Paia Town on the night of the 17th!
Maui Real Estate Blog
Dine out for Hospice Maui November 15, 2016
Restaurants around the island will be donating a portion of their sales to Hospice Maui on Tuesday November 15, 2016. Hospice Maui has been providing compassionate end of life care for 35 years. They are nearing the final stages of construction on a new five bed hale near the hospital. Hospice Maui also continue to need donations for the support and services that they provide that are not covered by insurance. If you are thinking of eating out tomorrow or even if you weren’t thinking of eating out, head to one of the restaurants below for a good meal and to support quality end of life care on Maui.
Five Palms Restaurant
Coconut’s Fish Cafe
KO at the Fairmont Kea Lani
Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman
Mulligans on the Blue
Pita Paradise Wailea
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Frida’s Mexican Beach House
Honu Seafood and Pizza
Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop
Mala an Ocean Tavern
Maui Brewing Company Kahana Brewpub
Teddy’s Bigger Burgers
Maui Real Estate Blog
Support the Paia Youth and Cultural Center
I wanted to take a bit of a tangent from our usual real estate posts to share a video put together a little earlier this year about the Paia Youth and Cultural Center (PYCC).
The Paia Youth and Cultural Center is a program based youth center located on the beach at Paia Bay. There are over 500 members who participate at the PYCC on an annual basis. A free membership gives the youth access to programs like the Paia Bay Cafe, Hekili Multimedia Lab, RadiOpio, Project Venture, the Stone Wave Skate Park and more. As the video shows above, this really is a fantastic venue for the Youth of Maui to grow, play, laugh and learn. While membership is free, the costs to operate the PYCC are considerable. The Youth Center is dependent upon a combination of grants and contributions from individuals. The Maui Real Estate Team is a proud supporter of the PYCC. Please consider making a year end contribution to PYCC to help support this fantastic not for profit organization and Maui’s Youth.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Dine Out for Hospice November 11, 2014
Tomorrow is a great day to eat out on Maui and support an important Maui Local not for profit. Dine Out for Hospice is an annual fundraiser where participating restaurants donate a portion of the proceeds from their sales for selected meals to Hospice Maui. Hospice Maui provides quality, compassionate hospice care to maximize the comfort and dignity of those in their last months and weeks of life, wherever they call home.
The following is a list of participating restaurants and the meals they will be serving where a portion of the proceeds benefit Hospice.
South Maui Restuarants
- Five Palms Restaurant located at Mana Kai Resort, 2960 S. Kihei Rd will be dontating a portion of proceeds from dinner.
- Capische Restaurant located at the Hotel Wailea, on 555 Kaukahi St. will be benefiting Hospice for Dinner
- Fabiani’s Wailea located at The Wailea Gateway Plaza will be donating a portion of proceeds from Dinner
- Mala Wailea is located at the Marriott Wailea Resort on 3700 Wailea Alanui Drive. They will be donating proceeds from Dinner.
- Mulligans on the Blue is located at the 100 KauKahi Street on the Wailea Blue Golf Course will give a portion of proceeds from Dinner.
- Pita Paradise Wailea located at the Wailea Gateway Plaza will be donating part of the proceeds from Dinner.
- Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman’s is located at the Wailea Gateway Plaza. They will be donating a portion of sales from Lunch, Dinner & Liquor.
- Monsoon India at the Menehune Shores Condo complex at 760 South Kihei Rd. will be donating some of the proceeds from Lunch & Dinner.
- Coconuts Fish Café in the Azeka Mall at 1279 South Kihei Rd. is going to be donating a portion of sales from Lunch & Dinner.
- Longhi’s Wailea located at the Shops at Wailea will be donating a portion of sales throughout the day.
- MiGRANT is Sheldon Simeon’s newest restaurant located at the Marriott Wailea Resort. They are donating a portion of the Dinner proceeds.
- ‘ami ‘ami Bar & Grill at the Maui Coast Hotel on 2259 South Kihei Rd will be donating some of the proceeds from Dinner.
- Casanova Italian Restaurant is located at 1188 Makawao Ave. They will be donating a portion of proceeds from Dinner.
- The Kula Lodge & Restaurant is located at 15200 Haleakala Hwy. They will be giving a portion of the proceeds from Dinner.
- The Market Fresh Bistro is located at 3620 Baldwin Ave in Makawao. They will be giving a portion of receipts from Breakfast & Lunch.
- Polli’s Mexican Restaurant is located at 1202 Makawao Ave in Makawao. They will be making a contribution based on sales from Lunch & Dinner.
- The Makawao Steak House is situated at 3612 Baldwin Ave in Makawao. They will be donating a portion of their Dinner sales.
- Hana Hou Cafe is located at the Haiku Marketplace on 810 Haiku Rd. They will be donating a portion of sales from Lunch & Dinner.
- Flatbread Company is located at 89 Hana Hwy in Paia. They will be donating part of the sales from Lunch & Dinner.
- DaZoo Restaurant is located at 71 Baldwin Ave (The same building as the Maui Real Estate Team) in Paia. They will be donating some of the sales from Dinner.
- Colleen’s at the Haiku Marketplace on 810 Haiku Rd is donating a portion of the proceeds from Dinner.
- Honu Seafood & Pizza is located at 1295 Front Street in Lahaina. They will be donating a portion of sales from Dinner.
- Mala Tavern is located right next to Honu at 1307 Front Street. They will be giving a portion of the sales from Dinner.
- Maui Brewing Company is located is located in the Kahana Gateway Center at 4405 Honoapiilani Hwy. They will be donation a portion of the sales from meals throughout the day.
- Merriman’s Kapalua is located at One Bay Club Place, Kapalua. A portion of the sales from Dinner and Drinks will be donated.
- Aloha Mixed Plate is located at 1285 Front Street in Lahaina. They will be donating a portion of their Breakfast sales.
- Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop is located at 820 Olowalu Village Rd. off the Honoapiilani Hwy. They will be donating a portion of the proceeds from meals sold at Breakfast.
- Cane & Canoe is Kapalua’s newest restaurant located at the Montage Kapalua Bay. They will be donating a portion of sales from Dinner.
- Roy’s Kaanapali is located at 2290 Ka’anapali Pkwy in Lahaina. They will be giving a portion of Lunch sales.
- Sangrita Grill & Cantina is located at The Fairway Shops at 2580 Keka‘a Dr.in Kaanapali. They will be donating a portion of Lunch sales.
- Teddy’s Bigger Burgers is located in the Lahaina Gateway Center 335 Keawe St. A portion of the proceeds from Dinner sales will be donated.
- Bistro Casanova is located at 33 Lono Ave in Kahului. A portion of Lunch sales will be donated
- Da Kitchen Café is located at 425 Koloa St., in Kahului. They will be giving a portion of the proceeds from Dinner
- McDonald’s Dairy Road is located at 340 Dairy Road in Kahului. They will be donating a portion of sales from Lunch & Dinner.
- McDonald’s Kahului is located at 155 Puunene Ave., Kahului. They will be giving a portion of proceeds from Lunch & Dinner.
- Ruby’s Diner in the Queen Kaahumanu Mall in Kahului will be donating a portion of sales from meals throughout the day.
If you are planning eating out on Maui on Veteran’s day or even if you didn’t have it in your plans, please consider patronizing one of the participating restaurants during their selected meals. You can have a great meal and support a Maui not for profit that serves an integral role in the island community.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Gives Is This Saturday!
Paia Gives is scheduled for Saturday, December 21, 2013 from 4-8 pm. This great community event is now in its eighth year. Over the years, Paia Gives has generated significant contributions to local non-profits, provided an opportunity to finish Christmas shopping at local businesses all while throwing a good party. Special deals, refreshments, and entertainment make for a memorable evening of shopping and giving in Paia Town. This post includes a partial list of businesses that are participating and the local non-profits they have chosen to support. If you haven’t been to Paia in a while, you will see that there have been some changes this year with new businesses and other stores moving to new locations. We tried to highlight some of those changes below.
- Art Project Paia is a new gallery that opened earlier this year. This beautiful space is in the midst of it’s second show since it opened. For Paia Gives, some of the artists from the latest show, Women Make The World Go Round, will be in attendance. Kary McCarthy, Kathy Sakai, Lisa Bartleson from Lisa Bartleson Studio and Tatiana Botton from Tatiana Photo Studios. They will be there to take your questions, talk art, life and what to expect for 2014. All for a good cause as 10% of sales proceeds from that day will benefit Maui Humane Society. Art Project Paia invites you to stop by and have a drink, meet the artists and support the Humane Society. They are located at 77 Hana Hwy.
- Maui Crafts Guild – You may smell fresh paint when you visit the Maui Crafts Guild as they will be opening their brand new location at 120 Hana Hwy on the corner of Hana Highway and Baldwin this weekend. This is the former location for Dakine. The Crafts Guild we be supporting the Paia Youth and Cultural Center during Paia Gives.
- Maui Hands is located at 84 Hana Highway. They will be raffling off a 19” hammered metal petroglyph turtle by Charles Corda. It has a value of 125.00. Tickets will be 5.00 each or 5 for 20.00. All proceeds from the raffle will go to support Hali’imaile Community Garden. Refreshments will be served as part of the celebration!
- Biasa Rose is located at 104 Hana Highway. Their holiday festivities will benefit Women Helping Women Maui
- By the Bay is located at 90 Hana Hwy. They will have 2 pieces of art to raffle. For every $5 donated the Maui Humane Society, you will receive a raffle ticket. Also, purchases over $100 on that day will receive a glass ornament of their choice.
- Letarte Swimwear is located in the cute little hut at 24 Baldwin Ave. The Letarte Store is going to honor this special night by raffling 2 $50 gift certificates for Letarte labeled merchandise. Raffle tickets are $5 and the funds raised from the raffle will be donated to the Surfrider Foundation – Maui Chapter. There will be Christmas refreshments at the store between 4-8pm as well.
- Lilikoi is located at 18 Baldwin Ave. They will be donating to the Wings of Aloha program at the Maui Humane Society. They are already donating 100% of the sale proceeds from kai fragrance gift sets and to the program. They will be donating 5% of our sales from Paia Gives on Dec 21. They will also do a gift drawing for those that make a purchase at Lilikoi during the event.
- Mahina is located at 23 Baldwin Avenue. They will be raising funds for Women Helping Women! They invite people to come out for a great night of shopping and helping stop domestic violence.
- Nuage Bleu is situated at 76 Hana Highway. They will be having a raffle that benefits A Keiki’s Dream. They are giving raffle tickets with each $5 donation to win one of two $100 gift cards! They are also hosting a trunk show featuring Hula Hoops Maui Jewelry!
Holiday cheer will be served from 4 – 8 pm.
- Paia Trading Company is located at 106 Hana Hwy. They will be donating a percentage of sales to the Paia Youth and Cultural Center. The Ginger Bread Man and possibly Frosty the Snowman will be handing out candy.
- Oceania Maui is located is Suite 3 of 120 Hana Highway. They will be donating 10% of the whole day’s proceeds to the keiki gardening project at the Upcountry Montessori School of Maui.Every customer who shops there for “Paia Gives” receives a free handmade coconut soap with purchase of $25 or more. While supplies last.
- San Lorenzo Bikinis Maui is another new addition to Paia. They occupy the long vacant store at the intersection of Hana Hwy and Baldwin Avenue between Ono Gelato and Honolua Surf Company. They will be accepting donations for the Maui Food Bank
- Sand and Sea located at 99 Hana Hwy will be accepting donations for the Maui Food Bank.
- Wings Hawaii is at a new location at 69 Hana Highway. We were sad to see our old neighbors move, but they have a great little shop right on Hana Highway. They will be benefiting Maui Food Bank during Paia Gives. If you bring in a canned food or non perishable food donation in for 20% off your entire purchase. That deal runs all day tomorrow.
Grocery and Wine
- Wine Corner and Da Vine Art are located right next to each other in the Paia General Store Building. Da Vine Art is an extension of the Wine Corner and another new addition to Paia. They are a beautiful new wine and spirits tasting bar. They are open for general tasting and can also host private events. Da Vine Art and The Wine Corner will be benefiting the Paia Youth and Cultural Center. PYCC staff and youth members will be hosting a table in the parking lot that sells PYCC hats, cookbooks and other items. We will also hold a raffle for great prize yet to be determined. As part of the tables, Honi Designs Hawaii and Ekahi Sunrise will sell their beautiful jewelry and donate a share of the profits to the PYCC
- Indigo Paia is located in the Paia General Store Building on Hana Highway. They will be raising funds for PYCC’s RadiOpio. One raffle ticket given for every $20 spent in store. Raffle items include RueBelle jewelry, photography by Daniel Sullivan and clothing by CMiya.
- Pearl has a brand new location at 71 Baldwin Ave (The same building as the Maui Real Estate Team). They have a beautiful space with fine home furnishings and smaller home decor items. Our new neighbors will be donating 10% of the day’s sales towards La’a Kea Farm in Paia. Donate $5 for a raffle ticket to win bamboo throw. Serving Holiday Cheer from 4-8pm.
- Milagros is located at the corner of Hana Highway and Baldwin Avenue. They will be donating a percentage of sales to Montessori of Maui.
- Charley’s Restaurant & Saloon will be raising funds for the Maui Humane Society.
- Hi-Tech Surf and Sports will be donating 10% of clothing sales made between 4 and 8pm on the Night of Paia Gives to the Paia Youth & Cultural Center.
Paia Gives is a fun night and a great opportunity to support local businesses and local non-profits. Come out tomorrow night and get your last minute Christmas and Holiday shopping done in Paia.