Maui Real Estate Blog
Green Home For Sale Featured in Maui News
The Sunday Maui News had a good article on a new Green or Eco friendly home soon to go on the market in Maui. The developer Towne Island Homes is claiming that it may be the most environmentally sensitive home ever offered for sale in Hawaii. The four bedroom four bath home is in the Koa at Kehalani subdivision. Here are some of the features.
- Solar Hot Water
- Low Flow Plumbing
- Photovoltaic Electric
- Bioswales for for rainwater collection and reuse for irrigation
- Flooring for the ground floor is the foundation ground smooth
- Concrete counters with recycled glass
- Locally quarried stone
- The home is oriented so that rooms with morning activities are east facing and evening activities are west facing.
- The home is also oriented to maximize airflow.
- Deep overhangs and lanais were used to minimize to minimize solar heat gain
Towne developed this home in part as an R&D project for other Towne projects as well as for its parent company’s commercial real estate interests. The home has garnered awards for its design from the Building Industry Association Parade of Homes and the American Institute of Architects-Hawaii Chapter. Maui Electric Company awarded it a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design award. Towne is also applying for LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. This is largely considered to be the benchmark for green building design in the U.S.
This beautiful green home does come at a premium. It is being offered for sale at $2,500,000.
Check out the article in the Sunday Maui News for more details on this new green home.