It is a pretty busy weekend on Maui with music, festivals, movies and a grueling athletic event on the calendar. Here are some of the highlights.
- If you are looking for fun for the Keikis (kids), head down to the lawn at the Maui Community College Tonight. The Kids First Film Festival features two films starting at 6:30. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs for family fun. There will be snacks, popcorn and door prizes.
- If you are looking for action, Big Beach will be the place to be tomorrow. Save Makena will be hosting the first annual Save Makena Skim and Bodyboard Competition. The shore pound of Big Beach always provides entertainment. It should be that much better as talented local skimmers and body boarders face off.
- Maui’s Kula Onions are thought to be the sweetest onions in the world. Saturday there will be a celebration of our island’s famous onions at the 19th annual Maui Onion Festival at Whaler’s Village in Ka’anapali. The festival includes cooking demonstrations, a beer garden, games, music, other live entertainment and more. Check out the Whalers Village website for more information.
- Maui’s O-bon season is winding down this weekend. The island’s various Japanese Buddhist Temples have been hosting Bon dances since May. The last Bon celebration at a temple will be held at Shofukuji Mission in Kula. There is a service at 6:30 and the dance will start at 7:30 PM. These cultural events are open to people of all denominations. The Shofukuji Temple is located at 53 Upper Kula Road.
- The Maui Arts and Cultural Center consistently brings world renowned performers and talented local performers to the island. Saturday night grammy award winning reggae artists Steel Pulse will be playing on the lawn of the A&B amphitheater. Gates open at 5:00 and the show starts at 6:00.
- For the masochists or those that like to watch masochists in action, Sunday is the Cycle to the Sun. Competitors in this event bike from Paia to the Summit of Haleakala through Maui’s Upcountry. The 36 mile 10,000 foot climb requires legs of steel. The event starts at 6:30 AM.
With all of the wonderful events planned, this should be another great weekend to be on Maui. Contact us if you would like to make looking at property part of your Maui weekend activities.