Maui Pet Information — Rules
Hawaii has specific rules with regard to pets. We provide the following information
to assist you in determining what steps you should take to comply with pet regulations
for a better stay in Maui.
Hawaii Department of Agriculture
New quarantine rules:
To qualify for a five-day pet quarantine, owners must prepare at least four months in
- Pets will need a microchip implanted for identification
- The pet will need a rabies shot and a booster, which can be no less than three months apart and not more than one year apart
- Animals should have passed a blood serum test, with results e-mailed to Hawai’i officials by the testing lab. Pets cannot enter the state until 120 days after the blood sample is received by the state
- Hawai’i officials must receive a health certificate from the pet’s veterinarian at least 10 days before the animal’s arrival, with all test results and health certificates sent by e-mail to prevent fraud
- At the airport, animal quarantine officials will inspect every incoming pet, check its chip to confirm its identity and release the animal to its owner if everything is in order
- The Hawai’i Department of Agriculture has published a checklist for pet owners on this PDF document.