Maui Real Estate Blog
Rising gas prices. A more chaotic climate. Improved health and wellness. There are a lot of reasons why driving less has more appeal these days. Maui is a pretty rural place. As a result, it is not exactly an easy place to live car free. That said, there are parts of the island where there are more conveniences and amenities accessible by foot or by bike. We recently created a handful of Walkable community pages on MauiRealEstate.com that highlight areas within a higher concentration of amenities within walking distance. This is a quick overview of those new pages on the site and a few communities that are worth an honorable mention.
Featured Walkable Areas of Maui
- Walkable Paia : For a small town, Paia has a lot going on. It has restaurants, a great grocery store, a Bank of Hawaii Branch, a yoga studio, massage studios, coffee shops, a post office, the beach and more all in and around town. If you live in the neighborhoods to the East and North of town, almost all of this is accessible via your own two feet. As an added bonus, the North Shore bike path runs to the West of town, through Spreckelsville and into Kahului. Paia is the one area of the island where you really could go for longer stretches without driving.
- Walkable Wailuku : Downtown Wailuku is the seat of Maui County Government. It is also home to federal and state agencies, medical facilities, law offices and other professional services. The homes and condos in the downtown area give options to those who work downtown that want to avoid commuting by car. Add in restaurants, the Iao Theater, shops, a library and other amenities and there are plenty of things accessible by foot. While you will still find yourself driving to some amenities, your odometer is less likely to get a workout.
- Walkable Makawao : Upcountry Maui may not be the first place you think of when it comes to walkability. That said, downtown Makawao is another small town with a lot going on. There are restaurants, a public library, Eddie Tam Park, a post office, shops, coffee, yoga and more. There are quite a few neighborhoods within walking distance of these attractions. Again, this is a place where it may be difficult to completely avoid car dependence, but you could get away with driving less when you live close to Makawao.
- Walkable Lahaina : Front Street is a renowned tourist destination. That said, residents living in the neighborhoods close to Front Street are located close to restaurants, shops, grocery stores, the beach, surfing and more. Put on your walking shoes or grab your cruiser bike. This is an area where you can leave your car parked in the driveway more often than not.
The Kulamalu area of Pukalani wouldn’t have received a mention 10 years ago. While there was a Long’s Drugs and a Fitness Center, this was a convenient but car dependent community. Then came the Saturday’s Farmer’s Market, followed by Food Trucks. A new brewery and a great pizza place in the last year are two great new additions. The Cottages at Kulamalu and Kulamalu Hilltop are now two neighborhoods where owners now have some great amenities within walking distance.
There are parts of Kihei where you may not need a car as much depending on your lifestyle. Areas of South Kihei and Central Kihei offer restaurants, shops, grocery stores and beaches within walking distance.
Contact The Maui Real Estate Team
Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you are looking for a home that decreases your car dependence. We would welcome the chance to help you find a home or condo that might help change your lifestyle.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Things to do on Maui – By Region
Maui Real Estate Blog
Beautiful Estate in Maunaolu Plantation
The Main House at 193 Ohaoha
The custom built three bedroom, three and a half bathroom main home features 4,200 square feet under roof. There are a choice of two potential master suites with one on the ground floor and one on the second story. The living room features barreled ceilings and a beautiful stone fireplace. The kitchen includes custom cabinetry, granite counters and Viking and Bosch appliances. There is a media room, office, laundry room and utility storage. Central a/c keeps the home cool on the warmest days. A home security system provides additional peace of mind. A three car garage has plenty of space for all of your beach toys or gardening equipment.
The home has a massive solar photovoltaic system with 74 panels. It also includes a 24 kilowat backup generator.
Outdoor Living at 193 Ohaoha
The pool area is a fantastic entertainment space. The pool has a beach entry, spa and waterfall feature. Propane powered tiki torches decorate the pool area. They help to ensure that the fun continues as day slips into night. Propane also powers a pool side barbecue.
The Ohana at 193 Ohaoha
The home’s two bedroom, two bath cottage offers 1,000 square feet of living space and a six hundred square foot garage. The cottage is completely private from the main house with its own separate gated entrance. Quality features include a presidential roof, large stone tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms and poured concrete counters in the kitchen and the master bathroom.
About Maunaolu Plantation
Maunaolu Plantation is a gated community with two to three acre lots. Ideally situated between Makawao and Paia towns, this area of the island is known as Sunnyside. The climate strikes a good balance between warm days and cool evenings. There is enough rainfall to keep things lush throughout the year, but plenty of sun too. It is less than ten minutes to Ho’okipa Beach Park. There are a number of quality schools located nearby.
Find out More About this Maunaolu Plantation Estate
This property is offered for $2,298,000. This property sold in 2019. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team for assistance with other homes. Check our site to see if there are other listings in Maunaolu Plantation.
Maui Real Estate Blog
3035 Baldwin Avenue Details
“The details are not the details. They make the design.”-Charles Eames
Over the years, I have had the opportunity to look at a lot of properties throughout all corners of Maui. I have seen a number of beautiful homes. Some are distinguished for their views, some for their architecture, some for their setting and some for all of the above. 3035 Baldwin Avenue in Makawao is one that fits the all of the above category. That said, today I wanted to hone in on the details of the property. 3035 Baldwin is the type of home where you notice something new each time you visit. The photos below capture some of the details that you might miss on a quick visit.
The stainless steel circles in this railing are ubiquitous throughout the property. You see them at the front gate, you see them used for railings. They are used in the kitchen and bathrooms. The amazing thing is that the owner individually welded all of the circles together. There are over 2,000 on the property.
3035 Baldwin was part of the old Kaluanui Estate. An old cistern next to the main house was converted to a firepit. A great place to watch the sunset as day turns to night in Upcountry Maui and stars begin to blanket the skies.
Circles are a feature seen throughout the design of the house. This portal window reflects a trellis outside the master bedroom. The siding is also noteworthy. Rather than just using linear shakes on the exterior. The shakes are in a wave like pattern.
The circle theme carried over into this blue door down by the garage.
A sculpture outside the main home.
Jalousie or louvre windows are popular in tropical architecture. They can let in breezes while keeping out moisture. This home has oversized jalousies. The owner designed and built the mechanics to open and close these large jalousies. The end result is beautiful, durable and very functional.
The Japanese soaking tub outside the master suite uses as bamboo spigot that is turned on and off by a faucet made from a stack of river rocks.
These are just some of the eye catching design features around the home. Check out the youtube video below to see more details of the property.
This property is offered for $6,900,000. For a big picture view of the property, check out the Maui Haven Website. Qualified buyers may contact The Maui Real Estate Team to arrange an exclusive preview.
Maui Real Estate Blog
New York, Paris, London, Tokyo…Makawao?
There are so many attributes at 3035 Baldwin Avenue from the spectacular views, to the thoughtful design and construction, the privacy, the trails, the agriculture, the additional lot allocations etc. that it is easy to perhaps overlook one of the most outstanding features of all.
Situated at the epicenter of Maui, it is hard to find a more convenient location for a private estate on Maui.
- 2 minutes and .5 mile to Montessori of Maui
- 3 minutes and 1.2 miles to Makawao Elementary School
- 4 minutes and 1.5 miles to Makawao town
- 6 minutes and 2.4 miles to Seabury Hall
- 11 minutes and 5.4 miles to Haiku town
- 14 minutes and less than 5 miles to Makawao forest Mountain Biking
- 15 minutes and 6 miles to Paia town
- 17 minutes to Baldwin Beach Park
- 17 minutes and 7 miles to Hookipa Beach Park
- 18 minutes and 10.5 miles to Kahului Airport
- 36 minutes and 28.7 miles to Keawakapu Beach
- 67 minutes and 29.8 miles to Haleakala Summit
- 75 minutes and 44.1 miles to Honolua Bay
- 110 minutes and 42.2 miles to Travaasa, Hana
- Los Angeles, Silicon Valley and Seattle – Approximately 6 hours
- Tokyo – < 12 hours
- New York 14 hours
- Paris – 20 hours
Whether is be cycling, surf, snorkeling, school, sushi, shopping or more…3035 Baldwin Ave. So Close and Yet So Private.
This property is no longer for sale. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team for assistance with other properties on Maui.
Maui Real Estate Blog
3035 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao
Is this your dream? Does your Hawaiian Dream include a custom crafted home on an expansively beautiful property in one of Maui’s prime locations? In your dream, is the home itself a work of art, blending the best of Asian and Hawaiian design elements? Is there a large modern workshop where maybe your boat or other toys are waiting?
Do you dream of a house that is well suited both to entertaining friends and family and quiet moments of reflection? Can you envision lounging on the lanai looking at the North Shore and the West Maui Mountains, sipping a cool beverage and watching the sun set with friends? The smell of wood smoke and fresh Italian herbs waft across the lanai from your pizza oven. Or, perhaps you’re looking across your fruit orchard at the full glory of Haleakala, clear as a bell. Later, you’ll stargaze from the hot tub.
Often in the dream, you’re exploring the many meandering trails that traverse the landscape, enabling you to truly enjoy the property’s entire 70 acres. The trails pass by a small, organic lettuce farm and a young forest of native koa trees, some of which you’re thinking you’ll harvest one day for their prized wood. You find a running stream and macadamia nut trees and allspice groves. You can smell them in your dream, and they smell like spice cake.
Do you dream of never paying a power bill thanks to a powerful state-of-the-art photovoltaic power system? Does the dream include a lifestyle that combines intrinsic privacy and the convenience of driving 2 minutes to get to great restaurants, stores, spa treatments or yoga classes?
You’ve been dreaming of this property and it is finally available. 3035 Baldwin Avenue is offered for $6,900,000. Check out the listing page for more details and photos. Stay tuned to the Maui Real Estate Blog as we explore the different attributes that distinguish this property. Location, architecture, sustainability, recreation, natural beauty and more are all outstanding elements that make this one of the finest properties in Upcountry Maui. It is what makes 3035 Baldwin Avenue a property of your dreams.