Tag: Maui Farmers
Maui Real Estate Blog
Support Maui Farmers
Maui Farmers need support now more than ever. With many island restaurants closed and others limited to take out only, a key market for local farmers dried up. The best way to support local farmers at this time is by purchasing CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) boxes.
One of my personal silver linings coming out of Covid-19 is my family’s purchase of CSA boxes. I always wanted to eat more locally. I knew CSAs were a great way to do it. For one reason or another, we just never subscribed. It took Covid-19 to change things. We are now eating really fresh produce every day.
I put together a list of local farmers and agribusinesses that offer box pick ups or delivery services below. Some farms are seeing pretty strong demand and only have wait lists. I included links to the Instagram profiles of a number of farms. That seems to be one of the best ways to find pick up information and availability.
Maui CSA Boxes
- Kumu Farms. My family ordered Kumu Farms Boxes over the last few weeks. We typically receive a variety of greens and vegetables, fruit, locally grown coffee and a choice of ground local venison or beef. The box we purchase costs $50. They have fruit boxes starting at $30 and general fruit and vegetable boxes starting at $40. Kumu Farms Instagram Page
- Okoa Farms. Okoa Farms is well known to those who attend the island’s Upcountry or Central Maui farmer’s markets. Their boxes can be customized. They have a minimum charge of $50 for delivery or $20 for a box at one of their pick up locations. Okoa Farms Instagram Page.
- Kahomoku Farms This farm also happens to be run by Grammy Award Winning Hawaiian Musician. Boxes of fruits and veggies start at $25. George Kahomoku on Instagram.
- Island Fresh Delivery This CSA offers all vegetable options, fruit and vegetable options and Juices. You can also include add-ons that range from CDB to Macadamia Nuts. Boxes start at $30. Island Fresh Delivery Instagram
- Pono Grown Farms Located up in beautiful Olinda. They provide a variety of vegetables and fruit in their boxes. Boxes for pick up start at $25. Pono Grown Farm Instagram
- Keokea Fields Fresh greens and veggies. $30 for a box.
- Kupa’a Farms A Kula farm offering local vegetables and fruit. Their CSA is currently full and are taking people on a wait list. Kupaa Farms Instagram
- O’o Farm Fresh greens, herbs, vegetables and fruits. Available for pick up in Kula and Lahaina. Boxes are $40
- Maui Grown Organics Organic fruit, vegetables and herbs. Boxes range from $40-$333.
- Lapa’au Farms Another Olinda based farm offering vegetables and fruit. This farm is unique in that they are also offering Oyster Mushrooms that they grow at the farm. This CSA is full and taking people on their wait list. Lapa’au Farm Instagram
- Moku Roots This West Maui vegan/ zero waste eatery is offering produce boxes including local fruits and vegetables for $35.
- Ono Organic Farms This East Maui farm offers fruits and vegetables. They have farm box pick up at Queen Ka’ahumanu Center. They also run a farm stand out in Hana. Ono Organic Farms Instagram
- Coconut Information This Haiku farm/cooking school is offering weekly CSAs with Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Coconut Water and miscellaneous produce. Boxes are $75. Coconut Information Instagram
- Volcano Medicine CSA This Kula CSA has a few spots left. They are asking for a ten week commitment for $350. Produce boxes will include local fruit and vegetables.
- Graze and Sprout Farm Sunflower shoots, microgreens, pastured eggs and sourdough bread. $25 for a box. Pickups in Kihei and Makawao.
There are still Farmer’s Markets happening on the island. Here is a list and scheduled times. These are great places to support not just farmers but some of the islands other food businesses. Markets are using a variety of means to try to ensure a safe experience for shoppers and vendors.
- Wednesday Farmer’s Market at Waipuna Chapel, Kula 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
- The Upcountry Farmer’s Market is one of if not the largest farmer’s markets on island. The last few weeks, they were doing a drive through farmer’s market. It sounds like they are going to be trying a different set up this week that allows pedestrian traffic. All attendees will be required to wear masks. The market runs from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM behind Long’s Drugs at the Kulamalu Town Center.
- The Saturday Market at Oskie Rice Arena in Olinda. The market runs from 12:00 PM-4:00 PM.
- Queen Ka’ahumanu Shopping Center Farmer’s Market. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Lipoa Street Farmer’s Market Check their Facebook page for items that can be pre-ordered for Saturday Pick up.
- Napili Farmer’s Market Wednesday and Saturday’s 8:00 AM-12:00PM.
This is a list of Farmers Market that I am aware of that are still operating during stay at home and social distancing restrictions. Send us a message if you are aware of other Farmer’s Markets on island continuing to operate.
Maui Fish and Meat
- Lopes Farm Maui Lopes Farm offers a variety of locally raised meats including lamb, chicken, beef, pork. They also sell farm boxes. Meat prices start at $4.00 a pound and go up from there. Lopes Farm Instagram
- Maui Fish Delivery Delivering whole fish to your doorstep. Check out their webpage for tutorials on how to filet fish, recipes and more. Check out the Maui Fish Delivery Instagram page for availability.
- Malama Farms Kurabota Pork lovingly raised in Haiku on a diet heavy on Canoe Plants and tropical fruits. A variety of cuts available for pick up. Check out the Malama Farms Instagram to see the good life these pigs live.
- Toohey’s Butchery and Bistro Selling Butcher bundles with a variety of cuts of meat and produce. The bundle costs $125. Check the Toohey’s Butchery Instagram for the menu of the weekly bundle.
Other Local Agricultural Products Available
These are some of the other Maui made products available at this time for pick-up or delivery.
- Stacey’s Garden Delivers offers delivery of their own products as well as products from Pono Pies, Maiden Hawaiian Naturals, Maui Tonics, Maui Wild Cultures, Maui Raw, Firmiana’s Cultured Vegetables, Maka’alae Kombucha and Farm Fresh Eggs. We ordered products from Stacey’s, Pono Pies, and Maui Wild Cultures and they were all delicious. The breadfuit and chorizo tamales from Pono Pies are not on the menu, but worth inquiring about.
- Haleakala Creamery allows you to pick up goat cheese, goat yogurt and goat ice cream right from the gate of the farm.
- Maui Tonics offers delivery of a variety of tonics using local tumeric and ginger.
- Broth Box from Alive and Well A variety of broths and cold pressed juices. The box may be customized with produce, meats and more. Available for pick up and delivery.
- Haleakala Supah Shots Locally made elixirs including a spicy mix of chili pepper water and juices.
I found a lot of these farms and vendors on the Eat Local Maui Facebook Page. There are smaller farms that pop up on this page here and there that don’t seem to have any webpage or social media presence. It is worth keeping an eye on this page for more local produce options, farmer’s market information, food truck information and more.
The list above is not 100% comprehensive. While I spent a fair amount of time putting it together, I am sure there are others that I overlooked. Contact the Maui Real Estate Team if you are a local farmer or business that would like to be added to this list.
I know Covid-19 is bringing a lot of attention to local farms. Let’s hope that local interest and support persists when this pandemic passes.