Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Fourth Friday-Art Out
Paia’s monthly town party Fourth Friday is scheduled for tonight. The town will be highlighting the talents of local artist with an Art Out theme. Visit each gallery for a chance to win fantastic art made by our exhibiting artists – you’ll have a card (available at each gallery) signed at each location, and we’ll have a drawing the next day to find the lucky winner of some beautiful artwork. Remember to grab a card and have it signed at each gallery/art opening to be entered to win fantastic prizes. In addition to the local artists on display, there will be the usual assortment of Fourth Friday musical entertainment, events and activities. Here is a list of some of the attractions happening around Paia tonight.
- Maui Crafts Guild – 69 Hana Hwy (579-9697) Gyotaku artist Carrie Brady will be the featured artist at the Maui Crafts Guild from May 25 until June 21, 2012. You can meet the artist during her opening reception from 6:30 to 9 PM on Friday May 25. Refreshments and live music by Upcountry Celtic will be part of the festivities at the store in conjunction with Paia Town’s Fourth Friday celebration. “Woman in the Window Series 2? will be the featured entertainment for Carrie’s opening event. Gyotaku is the age old practice of applying inks to the side of fish and pressing them with paper to render unique prints that record the actual size and shape of the specimen fish. Practice and experimentation led Carrie to the development of her own unique style of gyotaku.
- Lumeria Yoga – 161 Hana Hwy – Stop by to see the photographic work by our visiting teacher. Music and fun surround his beautiful photographs taken all over the world.
- Maui Hands – 84 Hana Hwy (579-9245) : Amanda Scott will be demonstrating her water color paintings featuring the varied peoples of Hawaii. She will also be available to do sketches, as visitors come in and explore the gallery. Nathan Belmont will be demonstrating the etching process onto glass, as well as show casing many of his lampwork glass marine life figures. Maui Hands will have light refreshments.
- Paia Contemporary Gallery – 83 Hana Hwy (579-8444) Al Schwartz will be introducing his work, and available to talk to any clients or visitors about his process.He’s locally based, and works with fascinating mediums, including Maui earth and minerals that he adds to his paintings. He will be in the gallery from 6-8pm, to meet and greet!
- Turnbull Fine Art – 137 Hana Hwy (579-9385) Our gallery artists will showcase a live model sculpting and painting demonstration in our courtyard. We’re setting up a canvas for you to try your hand at painting during timed increments. A live latin guitarist will accompany our creativity.
- Simply 808 – 149 Hana Hwy –We are hosting ADI, a creative henna artist and designer that is recognized for her Polynesian artwork on clothing and the body. Born and raised here in Maui, come by to see her you can see her demonstrate her work at Simply 808.
- Indigo – 149 Hana Hwy (579-9199) Be one of the first people to get a signed copy of Daniel Sullivan’s book “Tribes of the Omo Valley”, a collection of photos, stories, and music documented during Daniel’s trip to Ethiopia. Indigo is also hosting talented sculptor Tim Garcia who will be displaying his wood creations and will be on hand to talk story
- Paia Tattoo Parlor – 120 Hana Hwy (upstairs) (579-8515) Exhibiting tattoo related artwork and paintings from our in house artists: Tania Arens, Nick Alvarez, William Crandall, Leah Honma, Cissy Lala, Nate Rose, Nancy Valerio, and Justin Yates. In lieu of any sort of “live demonstration” we will be offering a special discounted rate on tattoos for that night only (which i guess, in a sense, is exactly a live demonstration).
- Café Mambo – 30 Baldwin Ave (579-8021) Angi Walsh and Alana Shevling are showcasing their art at Café Mambo. It’s fantastic work created by the friendly faces that serve you there every day.
- PAIA EVENING OF UKULELE 4th Friday Event-FREE @ 149 Hana Hwy 6:30-10 PM Na Hoku Hanohano Nominee & Mountain Apple Recording Artist: CJ Boom Helekahi, Na Hoku Hanohano Award Winners -Hula Honeys and Master Ukulele Artist-Benny Uyetake and Ukulele students from Kalama School! Bounty Music the largest Ukulele selection in the world will also be part of the event!
- Flatbread – 89 Hana Hwy (579-8989) Upcountry Fitness will be in the house with supplements, trainers and the like.
- Mana Foods – 49 Baldwin Ave (579-8078) Try Pekelo Hawaiian Coffee on Friday, May 25th from 6-8. They will sampling their 100% Maui Red Catuai Coffee inside Mana Foods, 49 Baldwin Avenue, during Paia’s Fourth Friday celebration. Pekelo specializes in 100% Maui Red Catuai, 100% Kona Peaberry and Prime beans.
- Letarte – 24 Baldwin Ave (579-6022) Come listen to beautiful acoustic guitar played by Aaron Boothe and friends.
We hope everyone has a great Fourth Friday in Paia. This monthly town party continues to be a great and fun event for residents and visitors alike. Remember to arrive early as parking gets tight. Here is a town parking map for reference.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Fourth Friday Paia -In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Tomorrow is Paia’s monthly Fourth Friday community party. Merchants will be open late, with many offering sales and/or entertainment. Here are some of the events scheduled for around town tomorrow evening.
Paia Art Galleries
- Maui Crafts Guild will feature print maker and ceramicist, Michi Itami, from March 23 through April 26 at 69 Hana Highway in Paia. You can meet the artist during her free reception and opening night on March 23 from 6:30 to 9:00 PM. Refreshments and live music will be part of the festivities at the store in conjunction with Paia Town’s Fourth Friday celebration.
- Maui Hands Paia is hosting the Girl Scouts from 5-8pm. Come by to view all their local artwork and stock up on your favorite girl scout cookies.
- Indigo Paia is the spot to hear great music by singer/songwriter, Miranda Ellis, from 6-9pm. Also, check out Shaka Pops selling gourmet popsicles made from local ingredients sold from a tricycle!
- Oceania Maui is offering 20% off Tahitian Pearl Jewelry between 5-9 pm
- Tamara Catz is featuring the work of Chenta Laury: “a dialogue with fiber” Her official opening is Saturday, but Fourth Friday attendees are lucky to preview her collection. “This body of small works is an exploration of the subtle elegant beauty of line, shape, and color – the building blocks of our natural world – as expressed through natural fibers.
Paia Grocery Stores
- Mana Foods: For March 23rd 4th Friday we will be having an Indian food demo inside at our tiki bar. Uma of Uma’s Spices will be cooking up one of her curry dishes and sampling her homegrown hot sauce. Very delicious stuff.
- Paia Bay Café has Simmer Street (Klaus Simmer and Bob Street) playing on Fourth Friday from 6:30 to 8:30.
- Charley’s Restaurant and Saloon is hosting Lia Live & The Kryptones for Fourth Friday
Here is a map of parking locations for the event in Paia. Arrive early as parking can get a little tight in town.
Maui Real Estate Blog
February Fourth Friday-Mardi Gras Paia Style!
The North Shore of Maui’s funky surf town is bringing a taste of Mardi Gras to Maui for their monthly Fourth Friday party. Paia shops will be staying open late, offering specials, refreshments and entertainment. The February entertainment looks particularly good with a marching brass band performing through town, live music, dance performances, and more. Come on out to Paia town and “Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouller!”
Paia Art Galleries
- Maui Crafts Guild – 69 Hana Hwy (579-9697) DOUBLE artist opening! Tracy Lamon (ceramic masks and tiles) and Diane LaFontaine (multimedia/fresco art pieces) will be featured artists. LIVE MUSIC in front of the store for your enjoyment and FREE refreshments from 6:30 to 9:00.
- Maui Hands – 84 Hana Hwy (579-9245) Maui Hands is having King’s Cake (the food of Mardi Gras). Karla Skarlatti is the jeweler in residence offering 10% off her handmade jewelry. ALSO, 10% off cards are being passed out with purchase to use on your next visit.
- Paia Contemporary Gallery – 83 Hana Hwy (579-8444) View a distinct collection of contemporary abstract artwork & meet the artist Brad Huck while he demonstrates his unique process live in the gallery from 6-8pm.
- Turnbull Fine Art – 137 Hana Hwy (579-9385) Turnbull Fine Art is featuring artist, Semyon Bilmes. Originally from the Soviet Union, he migrated to the US where he brought his traditional talent and had a very successful career as an illustrator. His classical, yet dreamy magically invoked images make you wonder what could be around the corner. There could be a magician there as a surprise…
Paia Beauty Services
- Dr Bennetts Med Spa – 62 Baldwin Ave (579-8979) For February 4th Friday we will be doing buddy botox (bring a buddy to the Med Spa and receive botox for only $10/unit).
- Grace Beauty – 62 Baldwin Ave (579-9779) Harp player and sangria!
- Thee Salon -109 Baldwin Ave (579-6333) 8pm – Thee Salon is hosting “Heart of Africa”, a fashion show celebrating and benefitting The Masaai Womens Art Project of Tanzania. Dance to the sounds of DJ Sweetbeats and DJ Kidd while viewing fashions by Everything Rozy and jewelry by the Tanzanian women. African Dance performances throughout the evening.
- Biasa Rose -104 Hana Hwy (579-8602) hosting a Jasmine Honey Designs trunkshow featuring beautiful locally made jewelry
- Indigo – 149 Hana Hwy (579-9199) Mardi Gras Ball in the parking lot! Karen B w/Helmet Conspiracy on the stage at 7 followed by Northshore favorites, The Freeradicals Projekt hitting the stage at 8.
- Oceania Maui – 120 Hana Hwy (579-6063) From 5-8pm, get 15% off all sterling silver and Tahitian pearl jewelry. Plus a special sarong tying demonstration: Get tied up by Corinne!
- Tamara Catz Boutique – 83 Hana Hwy (579-9184) Live drumming and dance performance in the courtyard.
- Wings Hawaii – 71 Baldwin Ave (579-3110) Wings Hawaii will be hosting their grand reopening! The Wings Girls have been working hard renovating their store over the last week. They plan to open their doors to the public just in time for Fourth Friday! The will also be hosting artist, Maile Iwanaga. She has been in residence for the past few weeks. She holds an MFA from Long Beach State. Iwanaga is a ceramicist that has made some amazing sculptures as well as a series of decaled plates that we will be presenting on final friday! Live Music and Refreshments!
Paia Coffee Shops
- Pa’ia Bay Café – 137 Hana Hwy (579-9130) Poni Brendan and her band performing in front courtyard all night.
Paia Grocery/Wine Stores
- Mana Foods – 49 Baldwin Ave (579-8078) Kona Red will sample their delicious KonaRed™ Coffee Fruit beverages. The fruit is sourced exclusively from Kona, Hawaii farms (USA), and can be followed from the field to your bottle, every step of the way. Real time ”farm-to-table.”
- Charley’s – 142 Hana Hwy (579-9453) Celebrate Fourth Friday in Paia at Charley’s! Marty Dread w/ the Marty Dread Band and DJ Boomshot. 9:30 pm
- Flatbread Pizza – 89 Hana Hwy (579-8989) Special benefit for Maui’s teen robotics champions. Check out a robot that can carry a pizza!
- Moana Café – 71 Baldwin Ave (579-9999) Heart Tribe presents “Do It For the Kitty”, a fundraiser for the Boo Boo Zoo featuring The Human Experience (journey-dub), Maesyn (lyrical, violinist), Alyra Rose (gypsy folk) and Freedom Stylew/the ManaFantasticks. Starts at 9. Music during dinner service as well.
Here is a map of Paia parking locations for Fourth Friday. Arrive early as parking can get a little tight in town.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Makawao Friday Town Party Tonight
Tonight from 5:00pm to 9:00pm, the Upcountry Maui town of Makawao will be hosting its monthly third Friday party. December’s Makawao Friday Town Party has the theme of “Makawao Gives: A Hawaiian Holiday Party.”
The event kicks off with a Paniolo Holiday Parade from 5:00pm to 6:00pm. The road will be closed from Makawao School on Baldwin Ave to the Liquor Shack on Makawao Ave for the parade, as cowboys and gals on horses, horse-drawn wagons, marching groups, farm tractors, and more fill the streets of Makawao.
Rev. Kimberly Fong from Pookela Church in Makawao will give a special blessing at 6pm on Makawao’s Center Stage, located at 3654 Baldwin Avenue. After the blessing, Kepa will play on the Center Stage, and many other musicians will be featured on stages around town. A variety of outdoor food and activity vendors will be available for the entire family, and restaurants will be staying open late for sit-down dining. In addition, many of the merchants in the town center will be holding in-store promotions and giveaways to raise funds for local charities.
All stores will be open during the event. Here is a more complete list of events and activities scheduled for tonight’s Makawao Friday Town Party.
Paniolo Holiday Parade at 5pm, starting at Makawao School on Baldwin Ave. and ending at Liquor Shack on Makawao Ave.
Pule from Rev. Kimberly Fong from Pookela Church at 6pm at Center Stage at 3654 Baldwin
Center Stage at Makawao Farmer’s Market sponsored by Miyake Concrete: KEPA
Julie Galeva Art Gallery: ATYANA SHAPIRO-LEISTE on the Grand Concert Harp
BENNY UYETAKE (Ukulele/Jazz)
SAMUAL E KALAMA INTERMEDIATE UKULELE BAND
ELAINE RYAN (Singer/Songwriter)
LYDIA PANZIK (at Makawao Steakhouse Courtyard)
Star Anise Indian Food
Zia Maria Gelato
Relish the Dog (Hot Dogs)
No Ka Oi Nut Company
Cake Walk Bakery
Lilikoi Express (Local Food)
King Kekaulike High School (Hot Drinks & Snacks)
Infusion Oil (Cooking Oils)
Rainbow Acres (Succulent Plants)
Hale Ho‘omana (Tea & Gifts)
Plant a Wish (Living, Native Christmas Trees)
Maui Huliau Foundation
La Ti Da (Face Painting, Balloon Twisting)
Free Pilates Lessons & Wellness Coaching (at OnCore Studio)
Epic Entertainment Hawaii (Photo Booth)
Rotary Club Holiday Gift Wrapping (By Donation Only)
Bull Bash at Oskie Rice Arena from 7pm – 9pm
Open House at Maui102NINE Radio Station
“Quintessential Maui” Art Show (Viewpoint Gallery)
Open House at Paragon Salon supporting Boys & Girls Club
PARKING IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
Makawao Base Yard (Across from St. Joseph’s Church)
2 Parking lots on Brewer Road
Makawao Municipal Parking Lot on Makawao Ave near the Library
Komoda Store Parking Lot
I had the opportunity to attend last month’s inaugural Makawao Town Party and it was a rousing success. The streets were packed and the merchants did a great job hosting the party. I imagine this month’s event will be even better.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Holiday First Friday Wailuku
Tonight is First Friday in Wailuku. This street party is a very popular event for local residents and even some visitors thanks to the good music, good food and good times on hand. This month, First Friday will have a little more holiday flair. Market Street is closed to vehicle traffic at 5:30 with events planned from 6:00Here are some of the events planned for tonight’s First Friday.
- Christmas Parade, Santa with Maui Cheer Babes and Wailuku Council member Mike Victorino, Vineyard Street, 6:00 PM
- Na Leo Lani O Maui, Maui Thing Stage 6:30 PM
- Gene Argel and Ohana, Cafe O Lei 6:00 PM
- Joel Katz Hawaiian Steel Guitar and Lily, Banyan Tree Park, 6:00 PM
- Live Christmas Carolers from Victorian England, Iao Theater from 5:30-6:30
- Visibly Shaken, Main Street Promenade, 6:30 PM
- Andy Kaina & Old School, Live Music at Chris Hart & Partners Parking Lot, Vineyard St.
- A Christmas Carol, Maui Onstage, Iao Theater 7:30 PM
- Hawaiian Christmas Wreath Sale, Hawaiian Food & Fresh Kulolo & Poi, Victor Pellegrino Book Signing “Uncle Kawaiola’s Dream”, Native Intelligence
- Beer Garden: Na Leo Kako’o, Benefiting Hawaiian Immersion Kula Kaiapuni
- Keiki Activities at the Pono…Do What is Right Store?
- Exhale! at Body Alive Yoga with a Christmas Card Art Show.
There will also be food specials and sales at assorted restaurants and merchants around town. If you can’t make First Friday, you can keep an eye on the proceedings via the Wailuku cam. Have a great First Friday!
Maui Real Estate Blog
Paia Fourth Friday Party Tonight
Today is black friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. If the idea of long lines at big box stores makes you shudder, I propose an alternative for your Black Friday shopping experience. Paia restaurants, galleries and merchants are hosting their fourth Friday event tonight. You can support local businesses and have some fun while you shop. Merchants will have refreshments, musical entertainment and more. Check out the list of events planned for tonight’s Fourth Friday in Paia.
Paia Art Galleries
- Maui Crafts Guild – 69 Hana Hwy (579-9697) Fourth Friday, Nov 25 at the Maui Crafts Guild kicks off our annual weekend sale. 10% off everything in the store for kamaaina and visitors alike through Sunday the 27th! We will be open late that night and have refreshments for the browsers and time to meet our local artists.
- Maui Hands – 84 Hana Hwy (579-9245) Maui Hands will feature jeweler Karla Skarlatti working on her latest designs. We will also offer a 15% discount on all jewelry through out the gallery from 6-8. Refreshments as well will be served.
- Paia Contemporary Gallery – 83 Hana Hwy (579-8444) we’ll be offering a 10% on the artworks for the weekend of 4th Friday!
- Turnbull Fine Art – 137 Hana Hwy (579-9385) We are planning a month of Thanks at Turnbull Fine Art. We will be having a raffle for a gift of thanks from Turnbull Fine Art. Steve Turnbull will be the guest artist playing around with an ice sculpture in the courtyard… Come and chip away!
Paia Beauty Services
- Dr Bennetts Med Spa – 62 Baldwin Ave (579-8979) Relax after your extreme shopping day in our spa setting with complementary “Champagne and Dessert ” at Dr. Bennett’s Med Spa!!!!
- Grace Beauty – 62 Baldwin Ave (579-9779) Free acupuncture, Irene Ryding playing the harp, raffle for a facial with Katy, drinks, food, astrology readings, paraffin treatments.
- Agua De Flora – 161 B Hana Hwy (579-3339) “Bobby-Joe” will be performing celtic harp and song between 6-9pm. We’ll have 5% discounts on some of the oils and 5% on all RueBelle Jewelry.
- Biasa Rose -104 Hana Hwy (579-8602) Trunk Show featuring Jasmine Honey Designs made on Maui unique jewelry on both Friday and Saturday. Bring 3 cans of food for Maui Food Bank for 25% off jewelry on Fourth Friday. Fresh flowers will be sold with a portion of sales going to the Humane Society. Refreshments will be served
- Hemp House -16 Baldwin Ave (579-8880) Free incense for all shoppers
- Letarte Swimwear – 24 Baldwin Ave (579-6022) We want to invite everyone to end their Black Friday shopping at Letarte where they can get themselves outfitted for the holidays, have a few drinks and finish the day with some good music. Please check our new space featuring Cabrinha merchandise and the artwork of Peter Cabrinha.
- Lilikoi – 18 Baldwin Ave (579-6055) We will offering 10% discounts and handing out free Kai fragrance samples. Throughout November and December, we are raising funds for the Humane Society.
- Maui Girl – 12 Baldwin Ave (579-9266) 10% -50% off entire inventory
- Nuage Bleu – 76 Hana Hwy (579-9792) Fourth Friday we will be having our annual massive after Thanksgiving sale! As usual we will be serving bubbly while customers enjoy amazing discounts. We will be open til 8pm.
- Paia Trading Company – 106 Hana Hwy (579-9472) Paia Trading Company will have refreshments, and Frosty the Snowman will be there to kick off the holiday season.
- Pakaloha Bikinis – 151 Hana Hwy (579-8882) Pakaloha has $36 per piece or Mix and Match any 2 pieces for only $69
Paia Coffee Shops
- Paia Bay Café – 137 Hana Hwy (579-9130) “Meet the Artist” Julia Lynn Copeland from 6-8pm. Julia will share her inspirations as a plein-air painter on Maui, and stories about her paintings that will be on display at Paia Bay Cafe through the holiday season. Julia is a resident plein-air artist at the Fairmont Kea Lani, and a featured Wedding Painter for the Four Seasons Resort in Wailea. To contact Julia, visit www.MauiWeddingPainter.com We are also having Simmer Street play out front. The trio consists of Klaus Simmer, Bob Street and Jeff Ellison. They play acoustic blues, bossa nova – americana eclectica.
Paia Grocery/Wine Stores
- Mana Foods – 49 Baldwin Ave (579-8078) November 25th, 6-8pm Plate lunch benefitting Haiku Elementary School. We will be serving venison chili and rice, vegetarian curry and rice, kalua pork and stir fry cabbage. All plates are $6 and are served with a beverage. 100% of proceeds will be donated to Haiku Elementary School. Also check out the demo at the Bamboo TIKI demo bar inside.
Paia Health & Wellness
- Northshore Pilates – 127 Hana Hwy-performance of HOOPNATYZE, the hottest new fitness trend in LA. Live performance in courtyard during band break. Come check out the amazing talents of our Hoopnatyzing instructor, Kisha.
Paia Home Furnishings
- Indigo – 149 Hana Hwy (579-9199) DJ, drinks, and fun.
- Pearl – 285 Hana Hwy (579-8899) ill be open until 9:00 and offering wine and refreshments. The evening is dedicated to” Decking your Halls” for the Holidays Season. Wreath making demonstrations and inspiration will be provided
- Charley’s – 142 Hana Hwy (579-9453) Charley’s will be hosting The Neverminds starting at 9pm $10 cover. Tickets available online at CharleysMaui.com and at Charley’s world famous bar. You may want to buy tickets early. The Neverminds are a local favorite that have sold out their recent Charley’s shows.
- Paia Tattoo Parlor will be hosting an Art Opening tonight. The art exhibit will feature multiple artists with a portion of proceeds going towards Underfunded School Art Programs. The event will run from 6:00-10:00 PM tonight.
The fun should start around 6:00 PM tonight with most shops staying open until 9:00 PM. Parking should be tight so make sure to arrive early!