Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelville Real Estate June 2021 Market Update
While last week’s stats post was the first in a long time, it’s been even longer since I posted a neighborhood specific update. With that in mind, no time better than the present to catch up on the real estate happenings in the Spreckelsville neighborhood on Maui’s North Shore. This beachfront community is a favorite of the Maui Real Estate Team. Our broker Billy calls it his home as does Martin Lenny, one of our agents. The combination of convenient location, great beaches and access to world class wind and water sports make this an incredibly desirable location. Today’s post takes a look at market activity during the Covid-19 era.
Notable Sales Numbers
- Eight properties sold in Spreckelsville between April of 2020 and June of 2021. That includes 6 homes and 2 lots.
- Seven of the eight sales were cash transactions. The one other sale was a trade.
- The Maui Real Estate Team represented the buyer or the seller on seven of the eight sales.
- There was only one off market sale during this period. All of the other sales made it to the MLS.
- The sales activity was spread throughout all but the Kai Holu Subdivision. The sales included one home closed in the Sprecks V area, one home on Stable Road, one home and one lot in E Paepae Ka Puko’a (The Spencer Subdivision). The rest of the sales were in Old Sprecks.
- One oceanfront home closed thus far during Covid. There is a second oceanfront home pending.
- The highest priced transaction to close came in at $4,000,000 for a home on .57 acres on Stable Road. The four bedroom, two bath home sits one lot back from the oceanfront with easy beach access. This transaction closed in March of 2021.
- The highest priced lot closed for $2,750,000. This .789 acre lot is situated off of Nonohe in Old Sprecks is right next to the Maui Country Club with deeded access to Stable Road.
- In addition to the 8 sales, there are three properties under contract including our office’s listing at Sugar Cove.
Thoughts on The Sprecks Market
Maui’s high end real estate market boomed during Covid-19. More accurately, it took off in late 2020 and through the first half of 2021. Home sales over $2,000,000 are up 335% during the first five months of 2021 compared to the same period of 2020. They are up 368% compared to the first five months of 2019. Areas like Kapalua, Ka’anapali and Upcountry Maui saw record sales volume for luxury property. That also meant the occasional bidding war and an above asking sales prices became more common.
The Sprecks market hasn’t hit the same heights as some of the other areas of the island. While the five properties sold for the year to date is the highest since 2014, it wasn’t unprecedented. None of the properties that sold closed above asking price and we only saw one multiple offer situation. This is not an indictment of the Sprecks market or the appeal of the neighborhood. It is more of a reflection of the fact that Spreckelsville is a high demand low sales volume area. Inventory levels consistently remain low with limited turnover. Many of the markets that saw the sharpest increase in activity came into Covid with an abundance of inventory. Plentiful supply combined with strong demand to create record sales volumes.
Spreckelsville Market Outlook
Based on the above, I imagine it isn’t too much of a surprise that I view inventory as the driving factor in the market for the remainder of 2021. There are currently four active listings and three pending listings. Based on recent trends, I would imagine that additional inventory will remain relatively scarce. Check out our Spreckelsville Real Estate listings page for the current inventory of homes for sale. Contact the Maui Real Estate Team if you are interested in buying or selling a property in Spreckelsville. We know the market since it is our own backyard.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville 2020 Market Update
Now that we are a little over a month into the New Year, I thought it would be a good time to check in on the Spreckelsville Real Estate market. This North Shore Neighborhood remains one of the most desirable locales on the island. It offers good beaches, world class ocean sports just offshore and a very convenient location. Two of the members of the Maui Real Estate Team Call it home. This post takes a quick look at how 2019 shaped up for the neighborhood and how things are looking for 2020.
The map above shows sales activity in Sprecks since January of 2019. Green pins represent active listings. Red pins show sales. Clicking on the individual pins provides details on the properties.
Spreckelsville Sales Overview
- There were three sales in 2019 in Spreckelsville. The sales included two homes and one lot. Thus far, one home sold in Spreckelsville during 2020.
- The highest sales price in 2019 went to 316 Pa’ani. This oceanfront sale included an acre of land, a main house and three cottages. It sold for $8,600,000.
- The one other home that sold was a beachfront property on Stable Road. What was most notable about this transaction was that it was a tenants in common purchase. The buyer was purchasing the rights and use of one home on a two home property. That makes the $4,025,000 purchase price somewhat eye opening.
- The solitary lot that sold closed for $1,600,000. The lot in the E Paepae Ka Puko’a aka the “Spencer” subdivision included just under an acre of land and deeded beach access.
- The one home sale for 2020 was in the Sprecks V subdivision that abuts against the Maui Country Club Golf Course. The sales price of $2,300,000 set a new record for the subdivision.
- The Maui Real Estate Team represented parties on two of the last three home sales in the neighborhood.
Spreckelsville 2020 Market Outlook
The 2019 Sprecks Real Estate Market saw relatively meager activity continuing recent trends. The lack of sales don’t reflect a lack of demand. Instead, it speaks to tight inventory. With just three properties on the market at this time, I would expect that the sales totals for 2020 won’t jump off the page. About four to five years ago, a good chunk of the Sprecks sales were unlisted properties. While that has not been the case the last two years, I would not be shocked to see some unlisted sales this year. I know there are some buyers beating the bushes. I also know that there are some unlisted properties that could be available for purchase.
Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you are interested in buying or selling property in Spreckelsville in 2020. We know the market well and always have our ears to the ground for opportunities. Check out the MauiRealEstate.com for the current Spreckelsville Real Estate listings.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville February 2019 Real Estate Market Update
We are right around the halfway point of peak real estate season on Maui. I thought it was worth checking in on some of the different real estate markets on island. The first on the list is the North Shore neighborhood of Spreckelsville. “Sprecks” is the home of our broker and one of our agents. While it is a small market, it sees strong demand.
The Appeal of Spreckelsville
The appeal of Spreckelsville stems from its lifestyle. The beach and the ocean play a significant component of the lifestyle whether it is taking morning and evening walks on Baldwin Beach or riding big waves on the outer reefs. Golf is a part of some residents lifestyle with the Maui Country Club offering a nine hole golf course, tennis courts, a pool and social events. It is a neighborhood where neighbors wave to each other as they walk the streets.
Recent Market Activity in Sprecks
This post looks at market activity in Spreckelsville during the last six months of 2018 and the year to date for 2019. The map below shows the current inventory of properties for sale and any homes that sold over that period. You can click on the pins on the map for additional details on the properties.
There have been only two sales in Spreckelsville since July 1, 2018. Both of those sales came during the second half of 2018. A few notes on the recent activity.
- Both sales occurred in the Sprecks V subdivision.
- The two sales during the second half of the year were the only Sprecks sales for the entire 2018 calendar year. That is also the slowest overall year of sales since 2010.
- This is the first year since 2010 that there have been no sales of off market homes.
Thoughts on Recent Activity
The bulleted points above illustrate the limited sales activity we have seen over the last 12 months. The last time sales numbers were this low, we were smack dab in the middle of the downturn. That said, the underlying markets in 2010 and 2018 are quite different. While the lack of activity in 2010 was a reflection of buyer demand, I would say 2018 and 2019 are driven by relative scarcity. All the homes in Sprecklesville below $2,000,000 have sold. The remaining inventory of homes for sale is listed substantially higher price points. The days on market for these properties falls within the norms of what we would typically see for multi million dollar properties. The two lots that are on the market are both being resold at list prices substantially higher than their previous sales.
While unlisted properties were a significant driver for sales activity between 2011 and 2017, there were no sales of off market properties during 2018. It may well be that buyers have flushed out most of the potential sellers. This is another way that scarcity has increased sales activity.
The Spreckelsville Outlook for the rest of 2019
Predicting the market in today’s day and age is increasingly challenging. Assuming that overall economic conditions remain somewhat constant, I would anticipate that 2019 will look pretty similar to 2018. I see demand for Sprecks to continue, but inventory is likely to remain the most limiting factor.
Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you are interested in learning more about Spreckelsville and the Sprecks real estate market. You can search the current inventory of Spreckeslville Real Estate listings on MauiRealEstate.com.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Beautiful Spreckeslville Home
It has been a busy month of new listings for the Maui Real Estate Team. We just brought another home to market in Spreckelsville on Maui’s North Shore. This luxury home features 3 beds, 3.5 baths and 2,680 square feet of living space. There is also a detached two car garage with a storage and office area.
The home in the Sprecks V subdivision is chock full of amenities. Here are a few features that stand out:
- Ten foot ceilings
- Gourmet kitchen with black granite counters, custom cherry cabinets and top of the line appliances
- Imperial plaster walls
- Stained concrete and bamboo flooring
- Panoramic Haleakala Views from the second story
The home builder utilized a number of energy conservation features. The home was constructed with insulated concrete forms. Combined with energy conserving windows, the home stays cooler on warm days. On demand hot water also helps to keep down utility costs.
The location of his home is arguably its greatest amenity. 10 Ulupua is close to Maui Country Club, Baby Beach and Sugar Cove. That translates to convenient access to surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, SUPing, tennis, golf, running, beach walks or relaxation. It is hard to find a better location on Maui for an active outdoor lifestyle. The convenience extends beyond outdoor time. The property is less than 10 minutes to the airport and other Central Maui amenities. The shops, restaurants and yoga studios of Paia are a short bike ride from the home’s front door.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville 2016 Year End Market Update
What makes Spreckelsville one of the more desirable communities on island? Convenience, access to water sports and beaches, proximity to Paia, proximity to Central Maui and a neighborhood golf course at the Maui Country Club. While demand may be high, the neighborhood sees limited turn over. When you have all the amenities of Spreckelsville, there aren’t many reasons to move. The post below outlines how the Spreckelsville Real Estate market fared in 2016 and gives a few thoughts on what we might expect in the coming year.
The map above shows the current active listings and the 2016 sales. Click on the individual pins for more details on the properties.
Spreckelsville continued to see signs of upwards price pressure during 2016. While volume wasn’t extraordinary, it was largely a reflection of supply. Here are some notable numbers from the 2016 Spreckelsville sales.
- There were five homes and one Sugar Cove Condo sold this year.
- Two of the five homes were sold prior to being listed. That continues a recent trend in the neighborhood that reflects demand for the area.
- The Oli Oli Kai sale was the highest ever price for a property in the North Shore or Upcountry area. 120 Ulupua was the highest ever sale in the Sprecks V subdivision.
- Sales were spread throughout Spreckelsville with one close on Stable Road, one sale in E Paepae Ka Puko’a, two sales in Old Sprecks and one sale in Sprecks V.
What will 2017 bring for this in demand North Shore neighborhood? Supply is going to be a limiting factor with only four active listings currently. If all four listings were to sell close to their current asking prices, they would be a testament to rising values. All of the listings would be a record of some kind for their property type. 600 Stable Road is priced higher than any previous home sale on the North Shore or Upcountry. 0 Paani is priced above any other lot to have sold in Sprecks. 204 Kealakai would be the highest priced non-oceanfront home sale in Spreckelsville. 2464 Waipua would have the highest cost per square foot for any home in Sprecks V and the second highest sales price in the neighborhood.
The Spreckelsville area is near and dear to the Maui Real Estate Team. Our broker Billy and agent Martin both call the neighborhood home. Either one would welcome the opportunity to talk to prospective buyers about their experiences living in the area. We keep a close eye on the market and an ear to the ground for unlisted properties. If you are a Sprecks resident considering selling or just wonder what you home might be worth in the current market, we would be happy to provide for a free evaluation of your home’s value and to discuss how we might be of assistance. Contact us today for assistance. You can see the current Spreckelsville Real Estate Listings on MauiRealEstate.com.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville Real Estate Market 2016 First Quarter Market Update
Spreckelsville has had one of the strongest real estate markets on Maui over the last few years. This North Shore neighborhood is desirable due to good beaches, great water sports, and its proximity to the Maui Country Club, Paia Town and Central Maui amenities. While the volume of properties sold is never that high, there has been strong appreciation and a good number of the properties have been sold before they are even listed. With that context, it has been a slow start to 2016.
The map above shows the current inventory of properties listed for sale in Spreckelsville and the 2015 sales. It is noteworthy that there have been no sales in 2016 and no sales in the second half of 2015 for that matter. What gives?
Well, for a good part of the second half of 2015 there was limited inventory in Spreckelsville. For a few months, there were only two listings. There was one condo at Sugar Cove that was priced well above market comparables. There was also one home that was listed in the Spreckelsville V neighborhood. The home backed up to Hana Highway and it was listed at a higher price than any previous Sprecks V sales price. That home was pulled from the market in October. 477 Laulea came to the market in October and 1050 Kapakaulua came to market in November of 2015. Limited inventory at higher price points tends to lead to fewer sales. Since the calendar has turned, we have seen 3 additional listings come on the market.
The combination of new inventory combined with a recent significant price reduction on the Sugar Cove condo suggests that the Spreckelsville dry streak for sales will likely end within the next few months. Check out the Spreckelsville Real Estate Listings for additional photos and details on the current inventory. Check out the Little Blue Beach House listing page for more details on our current Spreckelsville listing. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you have questions about the community or are interested in buying or selling property in Sprecks. Martin and Billy both call Spreckelsville home. They know the community as well as any agent on island.