Maui Real Estate Blog
Sugar Cove Building 6, The Guest Suite
Last month, our broker Billy Jalbert and agent Martin Lenny listed a truly extraordinary property. This is the first time a whole building at Sugar Cove on Maui’s North Shore came to market. The owners combined two of the three units into a truly luxurious primary living space. The sellers opted to keep the third unit separate as its own guest living space. Today’s blog focuses specifically at the guest unit and its many amenities that make it a condo of distinction and luxury in its own right.
The guest suite or unit C offers four bedrooms. Two of the bedrooms include en suite baths, Two bedrooms share a bath. There is also half bath downstairs along with a laundry area, a writing / desk space in the living room and complete high-end kitchen.
The kitchen includes Hans Grohe Fixtures, imported granite counters, custom maple cabinetry and gourmet appliances. The views from the kitcken over the living room aren’t too shabby either.
Two of the four bedrooms offer stunning ocean views. The ocean view bedrooms also have ensuite bathrooms and access to the second story lanai. The two non-ocean view bedrooms are spacious and comfortable. They share a bathroom. Vaulted ceilings, recessed lighting and a bamboo ceiling treatment enhance the vibe of all four guest bedrooms. While there may be a few arguments about who gets the rooms with ocean views, even the most finicky of house guests will be hard pressed to complain about any of these bedrooms.
The bathrooms include custom maple cabinets, imported granite and Hansgrohe fixtures.
The beautiful wood work throughout the home is apparent from the moment you walk up to the custom Koa front door. The flooring in the living room kitchen and bedrooms are Cumaru wood. As mentioned above, the custom cabinetry and shelves throughout the home are Cumaru and Maple. A stunning custom, hand made Cumaru staircase leads to the second floor. The lanai area decks are beautiful and durable Ipe.
In addition to the visually compelling features of the home, there are a number of features that keep guests comfortable throughout their stay.
- Triple glazed low-E windows for storm integrity, soundproofing, and energy efficiency
- Walls and attics insulated for comfort and energy efficiency
- Central Air Upstairs keeps the bedrooms cool and comfortable
- Programmable water recirculation systems for instant hot water
- Energy efficient & programmable water heaters
- Water filtration & RO systems
- High speed wi-fi and smart-house systems throughout; Lutron lighting; Sonos audio
- 2 large screen TVs
These are just some of the high quality upgrades made by the owners.
If guests enjoy ocean sports, there is plenty of space to keep all of their toys. There is storage for 18 surfboards & windsurfboards and 10 rigged windsurf sails. With the wind and waves of Sugar Cove right out the back door, there is ample opportunity for fun.
The whole building 6 of Sugar Cove is offered for sale for $17,000,000. Take a 3D tour of the guest quarters and the rest of the building here. Check out the Sugar Cove Building 6 listing page for additional photos and details. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team to discuss the property with one of our agents.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Sugar Cove Building 6, An Unprecedented Beachfront Offering
Sugar Cove Building 6 is an unprecedented beachfront real estate offering on Maui. With only 11 reported sales on the Maui MLS all time, listings at Sugar Cove are rare in their own right. Never before has a whole building in the development been offered for sale. For that matter, we believe this is the first time that a whole condominium building came up for sale on Maui. Add in an exquisite top to bottom remodel, the consolidation of two units in to a single fantastic primary living space, an additional “guest” space and you start to get a sense of how extraordinary this opportunity is for a beachfront luxury home buyer.
Building 6 Overview
- Two separate living spaces.
- Eight total bedrooms, seven bathrooms, three half bathrooms.
- 5,950 square feet of interior living space plus extensive lanai space.
- Complete renovation including the replacement and upgrade of all structural elements.
- Six designated parking spaces plus guest parking.
- 15.6 kw of net metered solar panels.
- Security alarm systems in both units.
- Tons of storage for surfboards, SUP boards, windsurf boards and rigged windsurf sails.
Units 6A and 6B
The owners combined Units 6A and 6B to create a single primary living unit consisting of 4 luxurious bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms including 2 owner’s suites. In addition, there are 2 half baths; 2 laundry rooms; an oversized kitchen, living and dining area, an office, and a huge utility / storage room that is perfect for storing all of your Maui toys and a little bit of wine as well. There is also a large, insulated attic with additional storage. The 4th bedroom is currently utilized as a home fitness center. There are an additional 1,300 sq ft of decks creating a fantastic indoor/outdoor living space. The kitchen / living / dining room area includes over 70 feet of beachfront windows to take in the stunning views.
To complement the primary space, there is a connected 4 bedroom guest unit. Two of the bedrooms include en suite baths, 2 bedrooms share a bath. There is also half bath downstairs along with a laundry area, a writing / desk space in the living room and complete high-end kitchen.
About Sugar Cove
Sugar Cove is a boutique 18 unit condo complex located in the heart of Spreckelsville on Maui’s North Shore. The low density, six building complex features spacious lawn areas dotted with soaring Coconut Palms. There is a community club house, a pool and a pickle ball/ tennis court. Gated access offers security. World renowned wind and water sports can be found just offshore. Owners love being able to paddle out or launch from their back yards.
Contact The Maui Real Estate Team for Additional Information
The asking price for Sugar Cove Building 6 is $17,000,000. Check out the MLS listing for more pictures. Take a 3D tour for more interior details and a better sense of the floor plan. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team with questions or to arrange a tour. There are too many details and outstanding features to this listing to cover in one blog post. Stay tuned to our blog for more posts on this special listing.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelville Real Estate June 2021 Market Update
While last week’s stats post was the first in a long time, it’s been even longer since I posted a neighborhood specific update. With that in mind, no time better than the present to catch up on the real estate happenings in the Spreckelsville neighborhood on Maui’s North Shore. This beachfront community is a favorite of the Maui Real Estate Team. Our broker Billy calls it his home as does Martin Lenny, one of our agents. The combination of convenient location, great beaches and access to world class wind and water sports make this an incredibly desirable location. Today’s post takes a look at market activity during the Covid-19 era.
Notable Sales Numbers
- Eight properties sold in Spreckelsville between April of 2020 and June of 2021. That includes 6 homes and 2 lots.
- Seven of the eight sales were cash transactions. The one other sale was a trade.
- The Maui Real Estate Team represented the buyer or the seller on seven of the eight sales.
- There was only one off market sale during this period. All of the other sales made it to the MLS.
- The sales activity was spread throughout all but the Kai Holu Subdivision. The sales included one home closed in the Sprecks V area, one home on Stable Road, one home and one lot in E Paepae Ka Puko’a (The Spencer Subdivision). The rest of the sales were in Old Sprecks.
- One oceanfront home closed thus far during Covid. There is a second oceanfront home pending.
- The highest priced transaction to close came in at $4,000,000 for a home on .57 acres on Stable Road. The four bedroom, two bath home sits one lot back from the oceanfront with easy beach access. This transaction closed in March of 2021.
- The highest priced lot closed for $2,750,000. This .789 acre lot is situated off of Nonohe in Old Sprecks is right next to the Maui Country Club with deeded access to Stable Road.
- In addition to the 8 sales, there are three properties under contract including our office’s listing at Sugar Cove.
Thoughts on The Sprecks Market
Maui’s high end real estate market boomed during Covid-19. More accurately, it took off in late 2020 and through the first half of 2021. Home sales over $2,000,000 are up 335% during the first five months of 2021 compared to the same period of 2020. They are up 368% compared to the first five months of 2019. Areas like Kapalua, Ka’anapali and Upcountry Maui saw record sales volume for luxury property. That also meant the occasional bidding war and an above asking sales prices became more common.
The Sprecks market hasn’t hit the same heights as some of the other areas of the island. While the five properties sold for the year to date is the highest since 2014, it wasn’t unprecedented. None of the properties that sold closed above asking price and we only saw one multiple offer situation. This is not an indictment of the Sprecks market or the appeal of the neighborhood. It is more of a reflection of the fact that Spreckelsville is a high demand low sales volume area. Inventory levels consistently remain low with limited turnover. Many of the markets that saw the sharpest increase in activity came into Covid with an abundance of inventory. Plentiful supply combined with strong demand to create record sales volumes.
Spreckelsville Market Outlook
Based on the above, I imagine it isn’t too much of a surprise that I view inventory as the driving factor in the market for the remainder of 2021. There are currently four active listings and three pending listings. Based on recent trends, I would imagine that additional inventory will remain relatively scarce. Check out our Spreckelsville Real Estate listings page for the current inventory of homes for sale. Contact the Maui Real Estate Team if you are interested in buying or selling a property in Spreckelsville. We know the market since it is our own backyard.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville Real Estate Market 2016 First Quarter Market Update
Spreckelsville has had one of the strongest real estate markets on Maui over the last few years. This North Shore neighborhood is desirable due to good beaches, great water sports, and its proximity to the Maui Country Club, Paia Town and Central Maui amenities. While the volume of properties sold is never that high, there has been strong appreciation and a good number of the properties have been sold before they are even listed. With that context, it has been a slow start to 2016.
The map above shows the current inventory of properties listed for sale in Spreckelsville and the 2015 sales. It is noteworthy that there have been no sales in 2016 and no sales in the second half of 2015 for that matter. What gives?
Well, for a good part of the second half of 2015 there was limited inventory in Spreckelsville. For a few months, there were only two listings. There was one condo at Sugar Cove that was priced well above market comparables. There was also one home that was listed in the Spreckelsville V neighborhood. The home backed up to Hana Highway and it was listed at a higher price than any previous Sprecks V sales price. That home was pulled from the market in October. 477 Laulea came to the market in October and 1050 Kapakaulua came to market in November of 2015. Limited inventory at higher price points tends to lead to fewer sales. Since the calendar has turned, we have seen 3 additional listings come on the market.
The combination of new inventory combined with a recent significant price reduction on the Sugar Cove condo suggests that the Spreckelsville dry streak for sales will likely end within the next few months. Check out the Spreckelsville Real Estate Listings for additional photos and details on the current inventory. Check out the Little Blue Beach House listing page for more details on our current Spreckelsville listing. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you have questions about the community or are interested in buying or selling property in Sprecks. Martin and Billy both call Spreckelsville home. They know the community as well as any agent on island.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville 2015 Midyear Real Estate Market Update
Over the last few years, the community of Spreckelsville has established itself as one of the hottest real estate markets on island. The strength of the market is evidenced by a number of high dollar sales and numerous properties that have sold without ever hitting the MLS. The community has become a popular choice for both Kama’aina and second homeowners. Residents are drawn to the community due to its great beaches, access to world class water sports, the Maui Country Club, proximity to Paia town, and the overall convenience to island amenities. After a scorching year of sales in 2014, we suspected that the 2015 market might have a tough time replicating last year’s volume of transactions. Now that we are over six months into the year, let’s take a look at what has happened in Spreckelsville thus far this year.
The map above shows the location of and information about the four properties that sold in the first half of 2015 as well as the two properties that are actively listed. The four properties sold is a decrease from the seven that were sold during the first half of 2014. Here are a few noteworthy items about the Spreckelsville sales from the first half of the year.
- The four sales consisted of two homes, one Sugar Cove condo and one parcel of land.
- A significant number of sales in Spreckelsville over the last few years have been unlisted properties. This proved to be true in the first half of 2015 as two of the four sales were sold prior to listing.
- The sale of 161 Makahiki set a new high price for a home in the Kai Holu subdivision. The Kai Holu Subdivision consists of 17 agriculturally zoned lots in the middle of the neighborhood along Makahiki Street and Cane Place.
There is going to need to be a significant uptick in activity during the second half of the year for 2015 to come close to matching last year’s 14 total sales. With only two properties on the market currently in Sprecks, I have a tough time foreseeing us making up the difference. You never know though, we have already mentioned how this neighborhood is known for unlisted property sales. You can check out photos and more details for the current inventory of Spreckelsville Real Estate Listings on MauiRealEstate.com. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you have questions on Sprecks or to see if one of us might have a line on an unlisted property or two. Our broker and one of our agents call the neighborhood home. They can literally say that they know this neighborhood like their own backyard.
Maui Real Estate Blog
Spreckelsville 2014 Real Estate Year End Review and 2015 Outlook
The Maui Real Estate Team Blog has been using the month of January as an opportunity to look back at the year in sales for 2014 and to look forward to what we might expect in 2015. Today, we wanted to focus on Spreckelsville. This North Shore neighborhood continues to see increased demand from both primary residents and second home owners. Great beaches, access to some of the best wind and wave sport areas on the planet, the Maui Country Club, proximity to Paia, proximity to quality schools and general accessibility are important reasons for the neighborhood’s desirability. We wanted to take a look at the properties sold this year, some of the most notable numbers from the Sprecks year in sales and some thoughts on what we might expect in 2015.
The map below shows the real estate activity that occurred in Spreckelsville during 2014. The red pins represent properties that closed during the year. The yellow pin represents a sale that went under contract in 2014 and closed in 2015. The orange pin represents a property that came on the market in 2014 and went under contract in 2015. The green property represents a property that was put on the market in 2014 and is still actively listed for sale. You may need to zoom in on the map to see all of the sales activity. Click on the individual pins to learn the details of each sale.
The Spreckelsville Real Estate market experienced a particularly busy year for sales activity in 2015. Here are the most noteworthy numbers from the year in sales.
- The 14 total sales was busier than any other year in Spreckelsville according to MLS data. The 14 total sales included three transactions that did not appear in the MLS due to a lack of Realtor involvement.
- Of the 14 sales, 50% of the properties were not listed at the time that they sold. That is pretty unusual for the Maui market, and it speaks to buyers beating the bushes to find properties.
- There were 3 parcels of land that sold in 2014. All three sales were located in the E Paepae Ka PuKo’a subdivision. That total included the last developer owned lot in the subdivision.
- There was one sale that closed in Sugar Cove during 2014. That was a front row unit in building B. There was one additional unit that went under contract in 2014 and closed in 2015.
- This was a busy year for oceanfront sales in Spreckelsville with four homes selling on the water. There was also one beachfront unit at Sugar Cove.
- The highest priced sale in Spreckelsville was 473 Laulea. It closed for $8,250,000 in February. That property includes over 3 acres of oceanfront land with a 5,000+ square foot home. That was the second highest ever sale in Spreckelsville.
- The Maui Real Estate Team was the most active Real Estate Brokerage in Spreckelsville during 2014. We represented eight buyers and sellers. We were the buyer or seller’s brokerage in over 50% of the transactions that involved Realtors.
I think we would be hard pressed to see the same volume of sales activity in Spreckelsville during the coming year. Lack of inventory is likely to be a factor with only two properties on the market. Any sizable volume of sales is going to have to come from properties that are as of yet to be listed or some that never make it to the market. We saw quite a few sales come from unlisted properties last year. Buyers may need to beat the bushes again to find sellers.
With limited inventory available, it pays to work with people who know the neighborhood well. Our broker Billy and agent Martin both call Spreckelsville home. They are well positioned to hear about anything unlisted or something new coming to the market. They are also great resources for questions on the neighborhood. Contact The Maui Real Estate Team if you are interested in buying or selling property in Spreckelsville. You can also check out the current active Spreckelsville Real Estate listings on MauiRealEstate.com.